Teaching prisoners to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjimboalaska:
This thread has hit home to me.....How can the legal system shut down one's bank accounts, therefore not allowing that person access to his funds for defense. Then that person goes to jail due to an incompetent public defender?

Also, I am finding that the people that are NOT expected to be repeat offenders are the ones that DONT get parole!
Why, even in the same county( Idaho ) is the child molester given 6 months and an assault given 5-15 years?
Is it because the Child Molester is on welfare, and the assaulter is making 300K a year?
Every jurisdiction be it Federal, State or Local makes what we think are bad decisions. Some are and some aren’t but it’s hard to understand what is going on if you don’t have all the history and facts in the case.

Would you feel better if, as an example, a drug dealer that has derived everything they own from drug dealing got to use those funds for his defense? Or an Extortionist who’s assets are all from illegal activity being able to use them?

I will agree that they can keep money they can prove that was earned from legitimate means. Other than that, seize it.

You said; “Why, even in the same county( Idaho ) is the child molester given 6 months and an assault given 5-15 years?” What were the details of each case?

In Idaho as well as other states an 18-year-old having sex with a 16-year-old could be and are convicted “Sex Offenders and/or Child Molesters”.

Nobody in Idaho has ever been given 5-15 years for just an assault. There has to be a lot more to it.

Gary D.

Apparently I am the only one who had any contact with the program or the products of the program, so I will jump in with some observations..

1) I visited Chino several times to observe and comment on the program and later to present lectures.

The candidates were exceptional humans, very manerly, very muscled, and very intelligent, few if any sported the sign at that time of prison life, the tatoos. Some where some how they had taken the wrong turn in life and ended up in Chino.

As students they were exceptional; like sponges they soaked knowledge like a sponge--they were eager to learn and create a place for them selves in their future world.

They began the day with exercises... not just any exercises but special ones; the log, 4 maybe 6 would do 100 or so setups with a telephone pole on their chest. Then the the back bends, legs trapped between two horizontal poles and they would do back bends from the knees all the way touching the ground with their heads, and then there was the running both distance and wind sprints.

They ended the day with water work, the circuit training and long swimms, back and forth in the pool.

Then one half day in class and one half day water training...Studing long hours into the night--but confined to a special area.

This was their routine every day for two years (or was it three?)

2) Many were hired by Submarine Engineering Associates (SEA) of Newport Beach California. SEA was owned by Platzi Miller, who expected performance out of his divers. He had discovered that the products of the commerical training programs were essentially useless; to many complaints; too cold, too dark, too windy. So he hired ex GIs and Chinos.

3) I was a long term friend of Platzi and was teaching part time at the local college, Orange Coast college ( Yes, like the TV program "The OC".) We both realized that they had fantasic skills but had no surf training, so a number enrolled in my advanced class at the college.
The ADC was taught at night and was well over 100 hours of training, three hours of lecture, 3 OW hours every Saturday for 18 weeks, three trips, 3 days in Norcal diving, 1 day in SD, and 2 day BT to the islands and a feild trip to CDC for swimmer hats and helmet dive training. All this for $20.00 California tax dollars! Upon completion they received an Advanced NAUI & PADI (who was the new kid on the block) certifications and from LA County an Intermediate Diver card. Some how I suspect today that PADI would probably issue some sort of a super-duper-poper type certification..

They were always on time, always had the home work completed and always received an A. At the beach, which many had never seen, they were equally outstanding. Very strong and fearless in the water as one would suspect. The adapted very fast and were alway at the top of the class in academics and watermanship.

I always eagerly looked forward to them attending in my classes, they rasied the bar for the other students and certainly made my life easy.

It was and still is my considered opinion they were equal to most LA county Instructors

4) In the very early 1970s also developed the very first civilian Diving Med course presented in US. This was a 72 hour college level course, consisting 4 hours of lecture for 18 weeks, an indepth term paper plus a field trip to CDC for a chamber ride to experiece NN.

Many of the college students stated it was the most dificult course they had ever taken--and it probably was. The Chino divers-they were working full time as divers -were often late or missed class. If they did, I could count on a call the next day. Their term papers were fantastic! They all were A students.

I recall the last night of the course, the class wanted to celebrate at "Hamberger Henrys." We all drove over to HH --as the instuctor I was the last to arrive. When I arrived I noticed three Chinos standing out side waiting I assumed for me and they were. I walked to the door and greeted them. One of them said "HH sells alcohol and we can't join you." I replied to the effect "I understand lets keep in touch." And we did for a while as they progressed in the commerical diving profession.

I can't recall their names after the passage of 35 years, but I some how think that they are some where telling stories about the Millers, Sam & Platzi who first hired them and and guided them into the world of diving.

SDM
Instructor,
LACO & NAUI 2 digits
PADI 3 digits

FYI,
The Manson Girls are housed next door in the womens section of Chino. One of my dive friends in the Long Beach Neptunes was an instructor of English there and had a Manson Girl as a Labbie ( lab assistant.)

We on occasion discussed her, as I recall it was Susan Akins, she was very intelligent, had her masters and had resolved that she would spend all of her life in Chino. She was devoting her life to helping others prepare for life after Chino.
sdm

Thalassamania:
The Prison Industry Authority’s commercial diving program at the California Institution for Men is being re-established to focus renewed efforts on reducing recidivism. Initially created in 1970, the training program was closed in 2003 because of budget constraints. The diving program has a renowned history of preparing inmates for employment after parole in such areas as underwater construction, dam repair, welding, and harbor diving.

Did you write the press release?

At least they will be comfortable with the long hose configuration......

TimAZ:
While I have no major issue with training inmates to function in legal society, the "train me or else I'll do more damage" approach smells of extortion.

We aren't talking threats placed by inmates, we are talking the facts of life. Many criminals commit crimes because they are not able or willing to earn a living in a socially acceptable manner.

TimAZ:
If the class is of value (and I think it may well be) why not charge tuition from those who have the means and perhaps establish student loans for those who don't. As far as taxes alone "paying back the cost of the class, these folks are already playing catchup ball to compensate for the damage they did to get incarcerated not to mention the cost of locking them up in the first place.

Sure, as long as you don't make it easier to revert to their ways of crime. Better to have a law-abiding citizen who "owes" us than a criminal who is adding to their debt by stealing, selling drugs, etc.

Thanks for putting this thread back on track, Sam.

The reality is that most inmates will be released at some point in time. I dunno the exact percentage but I'd bet it's well over 80%

We can lock them up with other prisoners & do nothing, just allow them to learn how to be better criminals. or we can make training, education & skills available to them & have them learn those things. But one way or another, they're going to be learning something & taking that something with them when they walk back out the gate.

TxHockeyGuy:
Here's an example of just how easily this can happen. Lets say you end up losing your job and because of this you can't afford to renew your drivers license. So now you are driving on an expired license and you get pulled over for a headlight that is out. In Texas you have just committed a class A misdemeanor (one step down from a felony) and will be fined between $100 and $500 plus will have to serve a minimum of 3 days in jail and possibly up to 6 months. This doesn't even include lawyer costs, court costs, and the DPS administrative fees which can easily add up to thousands of dollars. What is worse is with that class A on your record finding suitable employment may be very difficult. Even worse is if you get on probation and you can't afford to pay off these fines your probation will be revoked and you will be sent to jail for that 6 months.
Do you have a cite for any of this? Are there really unemployed Texans in jail for driving with an expired license?

According to the state's website, driving without a license is an undesignated (Class C?) misdemeanor punishable by fine not to exceed $200. (Texas Transportation code § 521.025). For a second offense a fine is required of at least $50 and not more than $200. A third offense is punishable by a fine and/or jail time up to six months. Of course, since it only costs $15 to renew a license, not having a job really isn't an excuse. And if you renew your license within 10 days, you can have the charge dismissed for a $10 admin fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom