TDI Nitrox Blending Class in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fort Collins Bob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello Rocky Mountain Oysters !!

I have openings for a TDI Nitrox Blending class in Fort Collins
in December if anyone is interested.

The class will be two days at about 4 hours each.

Please PM me here at SB if you would like to sign up or
want additional information.

thanks

bob fridell

p.s. let me know if this is a bad place to post and I will either move the post
or have it deleted. Thanks.

Is this through a shop? If so, and someone takes this class, will the shop stack air on top of a pre-spiked cylinder?

Roak

roakey:
Is this through a shop? If so, and someone takes this class, will the shop stack air on top of a pre-spiked cylinder?

Roak

The class is through High Plains Scuba in Fort Collins.

We do Partial Pressure blending , we have hyperfiltered
clean air and all cylinders are O2 clean.

If I am reading your question right.. The students will mix there
cylinders from scratch... under supervision.

There will be also combinations of gas problems ranging from
empty fills, tops, and bleeds.

I hope I answered your questions.

Bob

Fort Collins Bob:
If I am reading your question right.. The students will mix there
cylinders from scratch... under supervision.

I hope I answered your questions.

Bob
Sorry, I wasn't clear. After the class is complete, can a "graduated" student walk into High Plains Scuba with a cylinder they spiked from their "garage" O2 cascade and have you blow air on top of it?

Roak

roakey:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. After the class is complete, can a "graduated" student walk into High Plains Scuba with a cylinder they spiked from their "garage" O2 cascade and have you blow air on top of it?

Roak

If I can work with the student and build a working relationship w/ them I
have no problems with blowing hyper clean air into their cylinders.

Of course O2 Cert's stickers and marking will have to be observed.

There of course are charges for the air due to the filter life.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for answering the questions.

Why I asked such detailed questions: The mixing class offered by most shops is a complete rip-off; your shop appears to be one of the refreshing exceptions.

Most shops offer a mixing class and then refuse to top off the cylinders of students that have taken the class, which begs the question: Why offer the class in the first place? It’s not a problem if the student is simply a badge collector, but to offer someone that’s genuinely interested in mixing a mixing class, then not allow them to mix is borderline dishonest at best. If you’re not going to top off for them, they might as well go out and buy “The Oxygen Hackers Companion” and learn on their own, since the class isn’t going to give them any special access and they’ll have to buy their own compressor to mix anyway…

As for building a relationship with them and charging them for the top-off, I have no problem with either. If I owned a shop I’d only let non-employees near my equipment during the course of a class. Note this implies that, in my opinion, you shouldn’t let students use the O2 cascade after graduation either – so that is something that they’ll have to go out an invest in (if a couple students go in together, they can reduce the cost).

Two suggestions, point your students to “The Oxygen Hacker’s Companion” (http://www.airspeedpress.com/) for further reading, and if someone is actually interested in building an O2 cascade, I would recommend Linweld in Denver for Western Enterprises high-pressure fittings and gas. Linweld will “sell” you a T cylinder for about $230, and you don’t have to pay any monthly fee. You trade cylinders in to fill them, and when you want to get out of it, they buy them back for what you paid for them.

I’ve had a couple Ts of He in my garage for a couple years now, and I’m not sweating a monthly fee.

Roak

Hello,

Your points are all well taken .. and I stand by my dedication to provide
a good, well rounded, real life class.

I do suggest the oxy hackers guide, and also suggest:

The Technical Guide to Gas Blending by Nicos Raftis (Paperback - May 2000)

Both excellent guides.

bob fridell

p.s. I got three bottles of he in my garage... :)

Back
Top Bottom