tattoo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one i'm getting this january is a grizzly bear with a tribal around it...its pretty cool looking...I saw one kind of similar that gave me some ideas so I drew up a different version of it that looks pretty sweet...it'll be from my left shoulder down to about where the elbow starts so i'm guessing it'll prolly be 2 sittings wit hthe detail and shading in it...but it'll look nice when its done. Once I get certified I want to get something on my other arm thats scuba related to signify getting getting certified...still drawing that one up and working out the details though.

If you are planning to dive in colder water that requires a wetsuit, I'd wait a bit. Wetsuits are intended to be snug, and I wouldn't risk the increased pressure of the suit squeeze on the tatoo. If you are diving in warm water, without a suit covering the tatoo, I think 4-5 weeks would be plenty.

thmoose51:
Got mine on Wednesday, dove on Saturday. No problems.

BAD idea...You will be fine diving with the tattoo after 2-3 weeks, but it may take longer. Make sure the scab has totally come off. Hopefully you have followed care instructions also. Keep it clean and use a thin layer of Bacitracin...no triple A ointment. After the scab comes off, keep it well moisturized. It is very imortant to take good care of the tattoo. I have heard horror stories about people who didn't. Diving 3 days after getting the tattoo is asking for a horror story....

1-2 weeks depending upon healing.....no bacitracin, no neosporin, no cortizone creme.
a good moisturizer cream beginning 2hours after your tat is done(this is when you should clean any blood or ooze off) I use PONDS cocoa butter cream. Apply 5-6 times a day for 2 weeks. NO SUNBURNS! protect from the sun, even after healing, sunscreen should be used, and the cocoa butter cream will hellp your tat look good!
I dove 10 days after my last one and looks great, My tat dude is also a diver and has a GREAT rep. on the Island.....JImbo

ikkie78:
I was just wondering if anyone out there knows roughly how long you need to wait to dive after getting a tattoo? I wanna take my certification next spring/summer...and I was going to be getting a tattoo around february/march...just curious if anyone has experience with this or if its a better question for a dr.??? Thanks!

I have a couple of tattoo's and you'll be fine......

I've always waited about 6 weeks before totally submersing a new tattoo in water. I dive dry, so it isn't an issue. You want to make sure it's totally healed so that you don't risk infection. If you're still applying ointment/lotion, you shouldn't be diving with it. It's worth staying out of the water for a few weeks than to go around with a crappy looking tattoo for the rest of your life.

Glad I found this, I was going to get one Monday, and dive Sat. I think now I will wait a few weeks before taking the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom