target light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaudencio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi,
I am planning to buy an Inon 2000. The photo shop I am planning to buy from recommend that I buy an Led light with to use as a focus light and buy the D2000s instead. He said that he finds it hard to use the target light. But the LED he is selling me, I think in my opinion would make my rig bulkier underwater.
My question, do you find the target light of D2000 hard to use? So that I may decide what to buy. But I prefer my rig to be more streamline underwater. But if it is hared to use u/w , I might opt to buy the d2000s and the LED light instead.
2nd question, Do I have to use the target always u/w ? or to what conditions will I have to use it only?

Thanks,
:wink:

one problem of target lights on strobes (i use ss200's, which have them)... the strobe needs to be pointed at the subject for it to be of much use, in lots of situations, you want the strobe pointed either straight ahead, or even up to 45° out to the side, to minimize backscatter, so the target light would be useless in these cases.

I agree about getting a separate focus light.

I previously used the modeling lights on my Ikelite strobes for focusing and could never get rid of backscatter. Once I learned the proper way to orient my strobes, the backscatter went away. Now I use a separate focus light and I'm very happy with the setup. The focus light hasn't made my housing any more cumbersome, but I doubt it could get much more cumbersome! I use a Nikon D200 in an Ikelite housing with 2 DS200 substrobes, so my rig is pretty large to start with.

You won't always need a focus light. When you will need it depends on the light conditions and your camera's AF system. But it's certainly better to have one that you can turn on when you need it than to not have one when you do.

I agree with your photo shop's recommendation to go with the 2000s and bag the target light, but you are correct about that added bulk. My focus light sits on top of my rig and adds some height but no width and I can't notice additional drag. Bottom line, you want to take good pics and a focus light is more versatile. Agree with the comments already made about backscatter. Some autofocus lenses take FOREVER to focus if the light is not good, so in my opinion you gotta have a focus light. Although expensive, check out the Nocturnal focus lights. They are very rugged LED lights, not too big, and put out light at 5500k which is as close to daylight as I've found. This means you don't have to worry about the focus light itself adding unwanted illumination to your pics (the strobes will wash the focus light out I'm pretty sure, I could not find the light output on the D2000 but I use Inon Z-240's and this light is perfect for that rig). Here is a link. Good luck. http://www.nocturnallights.com/Nocturnal_Lights_SLX_LED_Focus_Light_p/slx%20focus%20light.htm

thanks mitchct :) Do you have a picture of your setup? We're thinking about creating a photo gallery of all of our customers' setups.

thanks mitchct :) Do you have a picture of your setup? We're thinking about creating a photo gallery of all of our customers' setups.
I've never taken a photo but I will, and send it to you. Do you want me to post it here or e-mail to you?

if it's not too much trouble please email it to me and then post it too. If you post it i should be able to see it but just in case I miss it... :)

Another nice option for a cheaper focus light are the Underwater Kinetics Mini Q 40 eLED. Very nice light with good intensity if you use a diffuser. I use 2 of them bracketed together with a piece from ULCS. at $24 each, it's probably worh a look.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom