Tanzanian Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all! Does anyone have any info on diving mainland Tanzania/Dar es Salaam? I'll be stopping there briefly before going to Zanzibar. Is it worth getting wet?

Thanks.

ikurinturbiini:
Hello all! Does anyone have any info on diving mainland Tanzania/Dar es Salaam? I'll be stopping there briefly before going to Zanzibar. Is it worth getting wet?

Thanks.

I come from Mombasa (Kenya,) and have done alot of diving around this area, which is very mediocre dive wise. I am led to believe the diving in Tanzania is very good, Pemba is supposed to be the place to go to my knowledge. I think there are a few livaboards in the area.

Sorry if i can't be much more use, but PM me if you need any info on diving in Kenya.

ikurinturbiini:

Thanks.

I haven't been there since the early 90's but finding places with well maintained rental gear was a bit problematic at least back then.... I didn't dive around Dar es Salaam but I dove in Lake Malawi and I loved it. I have a gut feeling that diving from Zanzibar with a boat would be a better bet.

R..

If you're going to Zanzibar afterwards I wouldn't bother diving from the mainland. Zanzibar isn't that great either (for diving, that is) but it's meant to be a lot better than the mainland coast. If you can afford it time and money-wise you should go to Pemba for a few days, some really good diving around there.

I dove at Kuchundi, near Dar, a couple of years ago. The dive op was at the White Sands Hotel, and their equipment was excellent. If you want to dive away from crowds this is an excellent destination. My son and I did a number of dives as the only guests on the RIB. Fish life is abundant, and reefs generally healthy. The most obvious down side is that the locals regularly engage in dynamite fishing, which leaves loud bangs in your ears and patches of dead coral. It has also driven away most of the large fish and the dolphins...

HTH,

Victor J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom