Tanks Left in Sun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok you guys far, way far more capable of understanding mathematical theory than I, what is the answer or recommendation, I’d really appreciate the advise.

Giving that at some point a full tank will be in the sun to arrive at a dive site, if in closed auto the AC would be on. Otherwise what we here call Hawaiian Air Conditioning (open da window) would operating so there would be a fair amount of ventilation if moving. In either case; no worry da tank get too hot. Do I understand this part so far?

This is where I know I get lost; situations where heat can build up such as closed auto parked on hot asphalt; how long is ok to risk? I’m guessing it’s ok to pop in to get beer for after the dive. How about P/U full tank Friday on lunch hour to use on Saturday? What if the surge was too strong so you put off till Sunday; what if hope for better next weekend? And, would it matter if aluminum or steel, full or @ 300 – 500 psi? Does the size – spare air to whatever the bigger tanks are matter? Does a blanket type shade help? Does it matter if two tanks are tight against one another or have airspace?
Obviously the best thing is to unload and reload, so I'm lazy, is there a middle point?
Aloha nui loa.

redrover:
Ok you guys far, way far more capable of understanding mathematical theory than I, what is the answer or recommendation, I’d really appreciate the advise.

Giving that at some point a full tank will be in the sun to arrive at a dive site, if in closed auto the AC would be on. Otherwise what we here call Hawaiian Air Conditioning (open da window) would operating so there would be a fair amount of ventilation if moving. In either case; no worry da tank get too hot. Do I understand this part so far?

This is where I know I get lost; situations where heat can build up such as closed auto parked on hot asphalt; how long is ok to risk? I’m guessing it’s ok to pop in to get beer for after the dive. How about P/U full tank Friday on lunch hour to use on Saturday? What if the surge was too strong so you put off till Sunday; what if hope for better next weekend? And, would it matter if aluminum or steel, full or @ 300 – 500 psi? Does the size – spare air to whatever the bigger tanks are matter? Does a blanket type shade help? Does it matter if two tanks are tight against one another or have airspace?
Obviously the best thing is to unload and reload, so I'm lazy, is there a middle point?
Aloha nui loa.

I thought this was covered pretty well, IT CAN'T HAPPEN to a tank with a proper burst disk and providing you do not live on Mercury. Temperatures in a car just don't get high enough to cause the expasion necessary to blow a tank up.

redrover:
...how long is ok to risk?...

That depends on how long you're willing to let a filled and ready tank sit before you go and dive it..........

(if you didn't catch that.....don't worry about the heat)

I have seen a tank blow a burst disk. Last summer at a local quarry while I was doing my OW check out dives, one of the instructors left a black Scubapro tank (I think it was a steel 95) sitting on a wooden deck for most of the day. It finally blew after sitting in the sun for like 7 hours. Didn't hurt anyone, but sure gave those of us near it a bit of a shock.

teknitroxdiver:
That depends on how long you're willing to let a filled and ready tank sit before you go and dive it..........
(if you didn't catch that.....don't worry about the heat)

Oh gee, didja mean to lead me into another question :eyebrow:
Thank you for clarifying, like I indicated, my better at skills lie nowhere near math.
I know I asked about this somewhere else but cannot find the thread - I have figured out the subscribing thing now.

Previously, the 1908 explosion in the Tunguska region of Siberia was though to have been caused by a 200 to 300'-diameter meteor. Trees were incinerated in a 9-mile (14.4 km) radius from ground zero and were knocked over in a 25 mile (40 km) radius. If this had occurred over a heavily populated area, the effect would have been catastrophic for the people living there.
We know know that it was caused by someone leaving their scuba tanks in the back of their pushcart in the sun.
We almost lost Siberia then - let's not lose Oregon because someone wanted a Slurpy and couldn't wait to properly store his/her tanks in their Toyota. Also, if anyone does go to Mercury, make sure you leave your scuba tanks on the DARK side.

Back
Top Bottom