Tank Tumbler..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Know this has been asked before but is it has been a while I would like to know if anyone has built one and if any have pictures or plans. Could probably manage the construction but struggling with the motor.

Thanks

A common motor is a drill. Chuck the drill up to the axle you want to use to spin the tank with, and you're good to go. We use zipties or hose clamps to keep the trigger depressed and use a surge protector/power strip with a switch to control activation.

I got this idea from someone else. I think I put more miles on it this way :)
They can be had cheap, and if you don't plan on using as a treadmill, should be a piece of cake to modify.

tumbler.jpg

For got to add, there are 2 more wheels that can't be seen. They support the tank, but don't touch the treadmill. I have them set so I can run all the way down to 3L bottles.

American science and surplus is a good place to source an electric motor that may do the job (and is just a cool place in general) - American Science & Surplus : Items Just Off the Truck

At one time, they had a motor with a gear reducer drive that could be just the ticket for tumbling a tank. They also have gears, pulleys, and stuff that you could use to build your own reducer if needed. Definitely worth a look.

Was thinking of something a little more robust as I have about 20 per year to do :-0

20 per year? Our shop did over 100 tanks over the course of a couple weeks, 2 at a time. That thing ran constantly for like 10 days. Only thing that wore out was one of the rails because it was a poor design. We replaced the allthread and it kept spinning. Plus, we got the drill for CHEAP and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to replace it if it ever did die.

Sorry Victor did not mean to offend just imagined a drill would not be tough enough! So just direct drive on the drive shaft?

What medium are you using? How long on average?

Hahaha, no offense. I can't remember the details, but the medium was beads from the craft store with Simple Green (or whatever it's called). Tumbled for what seemed like years (1-2 hours per tank, maybe?). I can't remember that, and I don't think it was the best setup.....but I know the drill worked :D

Back
Top Bottom