Tank transport into and out of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm driving into Mexico to dive the springs at La Media Luna. While I have experience in border crossings, traveling interior and most rules and regs, I've never traveled with SCUBA tanks before. Most of my travel to Mexico for diving is via airplane, leave your tanks and weights at home.

Because we will be traveling in our own vehicle, our preference is to take our own tanks (HP/LP Steel, etc.)

Are tanks something of concern at the border or on Mexican highways, or can I pass with tanks as personal gear to travel in and out of Mexico without issue?

Thanks...

Bad idea, just use the tanks in Mexico. Use some common sense about what the Customs officials will be looking for when you cross the border. If you are traveling with a group, they may not be too pleased if you cause them problems. Keep it simple even though you don't have weight limits on you baggage. BTW, I may be on that same trip!

Bad idea, just use the tanks in Mexico. Use some common sense about what the Customs officials will be looking for when you cross the border. If you are traveling with a group, they may not be too pleased if you cause them problems. Keep it simple even though you don't have weight limits on you baggage. BTW, I may be on that same trip!

A very good point to consider Driftwood, although some specifics I left out still have me considering, we are a group of only 3 divers. Larger groups do change some things: space, customs, gas mileage, deposits... qty has some benefits. My guess is you're going with Toms group out of Austin. That'll be an awesome trip; I'd have signed up, but it was already full when I heard about it so that prompted me to put this trip together in Feb. I'll be happy to share what I learn when we get back... you have to promise to do the same o' course.:wink:

This piece of info is where the difference comes in (maybe). I've no doubt that we'll be using several of the local tanks, but I was wondering about the feasibility of bringing our own. I would hope a simple manifest in Spanish along with rest of the gear would paint a pretty clear picture that 3-4 tanks and 3 divers are about. My thought is that if not a clear customs/transportation violation, we wouldn't have issue with a small group.

Ultimately, we may opt not to take tanks anyways to free up space. As for customs, MX regulation is where I have my questions. R/g the US coming back I'm not concerned; they'll dump some air, give a sniff, and away we go. I just want to know if anyone's crossed with their own tanks and what issues (if any) they might have had with Mexican regulations.

I travelled to and from Mexico several times when I lived in Arizona and brought my own tanks several times. I never had any issues with this, even when they did pull me off to the side for a spot check. I have heard that Mexico regs state no more than 2 scuba tanks per diver. I'm not sure what it's like crossing over through Texas, but if it's anything like in Arizona, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

I used to go down to Baja on a regular basis in my RV. I always had my tanks with me and never had a problem, either going into mexico, getting stopped at the checkpoints or coming back to the US.

A very good point to consider Driftwood, although some specifics I left out still have me considering, we are a group of only 3 divers. Larger groups do change some things: space, customs, gas mileage, deposits... qty has some benefits. My guess is you're going with Toms group out of Austin. That'll be an awesome trip; I'd have signed up, but it was already full when I heard about it so that prompted me to put this trip together in Feb. I'll be happy to share what I learn when we get back... you have to promise to do the same o' course.:wink:

This piece of info is where the difference comes in (maybe). I've no doubt that we'll be using several of the local tanks, but I was wondering about the feasibility of bringing our own. I would hope a simple manifest in Spanish along with rest of the gear would paint a pretty clear picture that 3-4 tanks and 3 divers are about. My thought is that if not a clear customs/transportation violation, we wouldn't have issue with a small group.

Ultimately, we may opt not to take tanks anyways to free up space. As for customs, MX regulation is where I have my questions. R/g the US coming back I'm not concerned; they'll dump some air, give a sniff, and away we go. I just want to know if anyone's crossed with their own tanks and what issues (if any) they might have had with Mexican regulations.

That trip that Tom's is offering is a bargain!

My concern is not about you or the gear, it is about the Customs Official. I have seen it happen too many times that they get an idea in their head, and it is hard to satisfy them. If I were doing it with your group, bleed the tanks down to 100 or so psi and roll the dice. A small group is very different from two vans of twenty people.

Have a GREAT trip!! It looks like Media Luna is about to be "discovered" by central Texas!

I've have drivein in and out of Mexico maybe 50+ times. In October next I am crossing with a buddy with 6 tanks. I expect no problems. S**t happens, but it won't be because of the tanks, they might only be an excuse on a bad day.

adios don O

Hi Zinc,

Just one quick thing I remembered from talking to Warren about his trip. They are planning to cross the border on a week day since the weekend crossings are a madhouse with very long delays.

Hi Zinc,

Just one quick thing I remembered from talking to Warren about his trip. They are planning to cross the border on a week day since the weekend crossings are a madhouse with very long delays.

Thanks for the head's up and I have gathered quite a bit of intel...

I'll PM you shortly and provide the rest in post trip report in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom