Tank storage...for car, truck, and boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to make my own tank storage device. I commonly travel in the car to dive destinations, then get on a dive boat or a vessel that is NOT setup for diving. I was looking for tank racks that would be multi purpose and came across the idea of making it out of 8 or 10 inch PVC. The problem with 8 inch is the plastic sleeve to keep the rental tanks from rolling around. The tank will fit well in the 8 inch unless it has the plastic bottom on it. So i decided on 10 inch. It allows for any size tank and will give excess room for easy movement. I figure I will take a 20 ft section of industrial 10 inch PVC and cut it to 2.5 foot sections...thus yielding 8 sections. I will use a chemical fusion technique to "weld" the pvc together in groups of 4.

Looking like this..

OO
OO

I will place threaded end caps on one side and simple end casp oin the other. this will allow me to "seal the tanks in the enclosure for greater protection in either the trunk, truck bed or on the boat while cutting in and out of a choppy inlet on a smaller dive boat. I would be able to use this rack for either horizontal or vertical storage of tanks anywhere I go!

the cost of the pipe is about $7-8.00 per linear foot.

This is the best idea I have come up with yet. I know the material will make 2 so I am giong to sell one to a dive friend for half the cost of material.

Does anyone have any better ides before I spend the money for the pipe? I'm open for suggestions. I DO NOT want it made from foam!!! Wood is a possibility, and metal will work so long as it is made from something that will not ruct or corrode.

thanks
Mike

Back
Top Bottom