Tank Size for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Walton

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to hear a little discussion on appropriete tank size for doubles. I know this is a function of gas consumption and desired range. I have an average to above average sac rate and will be using the set for deco procedures and extended range class, maybe later cavern/cave class. As far as non-class fun, they will be occationally taken x-country to Florida and NC for wreck diving. Here locally where I dive there is a pretty good uphill (both ways it seems) walk from the dive site so weight is somewhat of a consideration. I want steel tanks. I am currently diving wet but will add a drysuit soon and have to wear around 15lbs of lead with a 5mm and single steel (oms 112) tank so do not want to have to add more weight. As it is, if I went in with no lead and steel doubles diving wet, I would not have much negative bouyancy to swim up even with full tanks. Now, in reality, after adding in staging bottles and light, the load gets heavier but I am not at that point yet and will be diving dry by then.

Right now I am on the fence between PST lp80's or 104's and OMS 112's and 85's. I like the 26" tanks (i.e pst 104, oms 112 and 85's) and the lighter weight of the OMS but like the durable finish of the PST. For lighter weight the PST 80's look good, but they are shorter than I might like. The 85's seem good with 179cuft of gas and a light, nimble package in comparison to the pst 104's (30lbs lighter), but for the diving/classes I want to do, is 170 cuft sufficient or just a minimum. Would I be better off going with a larger volume.

Oh the considerations to ponder.

Thanks all.

Bill

There is a middle of the road option - steel 95's. Divers Supply sells a pair of steel 95s with a 300 bar Sea Elite manifold for $635 or so shipped. Not sure what brand, but an economical option to investigate. It's in their printed catalog, not online.

I love my OMS 112s

But the coatings suck and i will be getting LP 104s based solely on the crappy coating of the OMS.

Andy

I also have OMS 112's. I quite like them. i have not had any problem with the finish.

I use al80's for deco bottles

I would like to have even larger tanks say 120's or 130's

I find dble 80's as very light for beach diving. the 112's are heavy to do beach dives with. but for boat diving they are great

I'm about to throw a wrench into this. I too am looking for steels. :confused:
I have been looking @ the PST 3500 psi 120's & 104's(?), I don't have my stats sheet w/me. They seem to be lighter, smaller & a bit more boyant in the water than the OMS or the ....ahh the guys that make the Genesis Sherwood & Aqualung. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. I will be taking my Intro in Dec. & Full cave in spring. I also want to do wrecks on dbls. like the Grove. I paln on buying a single steel to pair w/a 2nd later, so I want an Right H valve now to pair w/a Left & an Isolator later.

Please pull out you Scuba geek book & let me know how this computes :)

Thanks

Aquatec

I like my 112s too but they scratch too ez. The reasons i wan to switch to PST 104s is the coating, and I beach my 112s 95% of the time.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom