Tank setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Z

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to attach a bolt snap between the cylinder and the tank valve, without using one of those straps that goes from the top of the tank to the bottom? Thanks.

You want something like this?
sidemount-cylinder-setup-200x300.jpg

I use mine like a choker.
Tie shock cord in a loop.
Loop it through the eyelet of the bolt snap and back through itself.
Wrap it around the valve neck and loop bolt snap back through the loop

Like this, only mine are longer so I can take them on and off easily.
I use loop bungees so the choker is used for helping gear up when I have to don cylinders in deep water, not the primary attachment point
e977f62b4698bc699f0a03fc022d4e3d.jpg

Some use it this way
tankclips002.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that might be tripping you up: The top snap is NOT to hold the tank in place while diving, that's the job of the bungee.

One thing that might be tripping you up: The top snap is NOT to hold the tank in place while diving, that's the job of the bungee.
Unless you are using a ring system then you need a different style choker.

A top clip provides a rigid point of connection when load-bearing the tanks (i.e. out of the water).

440 cord has sufficient strength for the task. Bungee defeats the purpose, as it's meant to be a rigid, load bearing connection.

Some divers leave it connected throughout the dive, but there shouldn't be a reason for doing that... and it tends to clutter D-ring real-estate (a definite concern when you start adding more stage/deco tanks) and it increases likelihood of stuff getting snarled up.

Personally, I don't like a permanently fixed boltsnap. Even not connected, it's just another dangling item that risks entanglements and, generally, causes annoyance.

I put a simple loop of 440 cord around the tank neck. IF/WHEN I need a load bearing connection, I'll use a double-ender snap. Once in-water I'll remove the double-ender and put it away.

I put a simple loop of 440 cord around the tank neck. IF/WHEN I need a load bearing connection, I'll use a double-ender snap. Once in-water I'll remove the double-ender and put it away.

Well isn't that just elegant and simple? Funny how when I see something like this I always wonder - how come I didn't think of that?!

I'm absolutely going to adopt this idea - thanks.

Tanksalot-1_zps2ipg1ud8.jpg

You can use something like what Scott posted and others have suggested which is used for neck bungees. Or you can you the ring bungee system which attaches the top clip like my picture above. You don't need the strap, but you'll need something like neck chokers or a piece of 550 cord if you're going with the ring bungee system.

Tanksalot_zpswx1spzbs.jpg

In the bottom picture you can see the "strap" which is what I think you're referring too. In this case the strap isn't used to carry tanks in so much as it's used to hold the position of the top clip relative to the valve so that it doesn't slid around.

Secondly, it provides a nice seam that allows me to reference the position of my bottom clip to the appropriate position. It's not that big of a deal on my steel tanks because I used a giant hose clampy thingy. However, I do have a set of travel straps set up that use cam bands and the strap makes it easy to get the cam bands/lower clip in the same position every time I switch tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom