Tank recommendation for Atlantic dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to buy a steel tank within the next 6 mos or so--does anyone have any ideas on what size (and HP/LP also) tank would be optimum for doing Atlantic NJ or LI dives, or what the minimum size is that I should get? I haven't been on the boats here yet but I want to make sure I don't buy a tank that's too small if I do decide to do that. If I decide to get into wreck valley diving I will eventually own 2 tanks, at first I just want to buy one. Also, I won't be doing doubles or any kind of tech diving. thanks

What depths are you planning on diving? What is your build like? How is your gas consumption? All these things need to be considered when purchasing a tank... You probably don't want to be lugging a 120 around if you weigh 130 pounds.

Forgot to add that steel seems to be pretty tough to get right now, and buying used would be the fastest way to buy steelies.

Jonny_Rocket:
What depths are you planning on diving?
I think around 80 - 115 FSW. I'm pretty sure I'll never dive beyond rec limits.

What is your build like?

Thin (6'1, 175). I'm pretty sure I do not want to get a 120.

How is your gas consumption?

Very good.

Another thing--I dive wet (so I will only be going in the Atlantic during the warmest months), so I don't want something that's going to make me negatively bouyant.

Steel 80s might be a good idea they are about the size of an AL50... Steel 100s are about the size of an AL80... I don't have any numbers right in front of me, but if anything I think the 80s are only about a pound or two negative when empty. Maybe someone else can hit that number a little closer to home? I prefer an HP 120, with a 7mm I only have to wear 10 pounds. When I get a backplate/wing setup I can probably drop that 6-8 pounds depending on what I get. I'm looking at a set of 120s right now that I'm going to double up, but I plan on going to the more tech side of diving.

Thanks JR--I was wondering if 100 might be a good size. My concern (in addition to having enough air) is that if I have a tank too small I may have trouble getting a stranger on the boat to buddy with me since they won't think they'll get enough bottom time. Since I haven't been on the boats I really don't know what size tank the typical rec diver use here.

I'm a big guy... 5'11" 235 pounds. I've been diving for 9 years, and have decent gas consumption... 2 dives on a 120, first maxing at 104' with a bottom time of 50 minutes even, and second dive I maxed at 54' with a bottom time of 28 minutes, coming up with about 900 psi. The next day, I did a dive on an AL80, maxed at 74' bottom time of 30 minutes, and came up with about 1800psi.

If you aren't busy this weekend come out to Dutch and dive with us! I'm going to try to rent 2 120's and I'll hopefully have my 100 with me if I can get it hydroed by Friday.

I have a feeling it will come down to a decision between a 100 and something like a 112 (that's a steel size, isn't it?).

Jonny_Rocket:
I'm a big guy... 5'11" 235 pounds. I've been diving for 9 years, and have decent gas consumption... 2 dives on a 120, first maxing at 104' with a bottom time of 50 minutes even, and second dive I maxed at 54' with a bottom time of 28 minutes, coming up with about 900 psi. The next day, I did a dive on an AL80, maxed at 74' bottom time of 30 minutes, and came up with about 1800psi.

If you aren't busy this weekend come out to Dutch and dive with us! I'm going to try to rent 2 120's and I'll hopefully have my 100 with me if I can get it hydroed by Friday.

Don't know about 112, but 119 is what I'm renting this weekend... If you aren't busy you really should try to stop by and get a dive in...

Back
Top Bottom