Tank Racks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need an economical, pre-fabricated rack for carrying two 8" steel tanks in the back of my Ford Expedition. The main purpose is to prevent rolling, and I've already tried sandbags, weights, etc. The foam rack made by Trident looks like it's made for 7.25" tanks. I've seen the noodle & rope type which might work well. Sometimes I'm only carrying a single tank, so it needs to be secure and roll-free with one or two tanks. No time, no desire to build anything, and I won't be going off-roading with the tanks in tow.
Tanks for your suggestions. :)
Kevin

i can't believe a sandbag didn't work. Just put them against the wall and throw a sandbag on the other side.
I generally put my tanks behind the seat of the car and move the seat back far enough that it locks it in place, something to try at least.

I built one of the noodle and rope type ones for the back of my SUV using nylon rope and 2" diameter PVC tubing, the kind used for plumbing. Works great for both 7.25" and 8" tanks.

scubacalifornia:
I need an economical, pre-fabricated rack for carrying two 8" steel tanks in the back of my Ford Expedition. The main purpose is to prevent rolling, and I've already tried sandbags, weights, etc. The foam rack made by Trident looks like it's made for 7.25" tanks. I've seen the noodle & rope type which might work well. Sometimes I'm only carrying a single tank, so it needs to be secure and roll-free with one or two tanks. No time, no desire to build anything, and I won't be going off-roading with the tanks in tow.
Tanks for your suggestions. :)
Kevin

How about switching to doubles and avoiding the issue altogether :eyebrow:

Seriously, I've used the foam noodle and rope setup on 7.25" and 8" single tanks and it has worked well for me.

Foam noodles (like the ones you use in the swimming pool) and a little rope. Made mine two years ago in 10 minutes for under $5 and they are still holding up.

I purchased the "Roll Control Tank Rack" from my local dealer. You can get them online. It stands your tank upright which saves bed space AND I can assemble my kit and still clip it in. I have mine set up to hold 7 1/4 and 8 inch tanks.

They are used on dive boats a lot and with the fold up arms they don't waste space when you don't need them. You can see a picture here. http://www.scottiescanvas.com/products/boating_products/roll_control.htm

Before I purchased them I cut two pieces of 2x6 to length of my pickup box. Then cut notches for the tanks to lay in. I then put in eye bolts and used bungie cords to keep the tanks from 'hopping out'. My pickup rides rough.

I don't like to lay the tanks down as they take up so much space.

DrDuktayp

Well I made the water noodle version for a couple of tanks and had a bunch of water noodle left over. So I took a 16" chunk of noodle and sliced it down the center yielding to half noodles. I used one for a chock block and it seemed to hold the tanks just fine. In fact I set one on your tanks for you to use scubamoo.... did you try it?

Uncle Pug:
Well I made the water noodle version for a couple of tanks and had a bunch of water noodle left over. So I took a 16" chunk of noodle and sliced it down the center yielding to half noodles. I used one for a chock block and it seemed to hold the tanks just fine. In fact I set one on your tanks for you to use scubamoo.... did you try it?

Yup, works good! I saw a post a while back by someone who made one outa' ropes and noodles but when you cut the noodles in half you can take as many as you need, toss 'em around etc. Wonder if the kids will notice a missing noodle...

Back
Top Bottom