Tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can I use my tank which is filled for air as a Nitrox tank & go back to air if I wish or do I have to have another for just Nitrox? I have heard different ideas of what it should be.

yes you can use it for nitrox. depending on how the shop you have it filled at puts the nitrox in the tank will make a difference.

technicaly you are not suppose to put air into a tank marked for nitrox use, but that dosent mean it does not happen. for one if the shop has modified grade E air it is not going to hurt. if they have nitrox banked in bottles under 40% you can be ok too as long as the air is modified grade E.

most problems start to occur when you do partial pressure blending. because of the fact of adding pure O2 into the tank. now you need your tank to be O2 clean. when youdo that most places will want to take off the nitrox sticker to put air back into the tank.

it is a touchy subject that becomes an issue at the dive shops. it is their liability to do the right thing when it comes to filling tanks, but ends up being at the custermers expense. ask the shop how they will do the nitrox fills and where they stand on filling tanks marked for nitrox use only with air.

otherwise you will end up having tanks for air use, and ones for nitrox use. good luck

Air = Nitrox21

yes you can use it for nitrox. depending on how the shop you have it filled at puts the nitrox in the tank will make a difference.

technicaly you are not suppose to put air into a tank marked for nitrox use, but that dosent mean it does not happen. for one if the shop has modified grade E air it is not going to hurt. if they have nitrox banked in bottles under 40% you can be ok too as long as the air is modified grade E.

most problems start to occur when you do partial pressure blending. because of the fact of adding pure O2 into the tank. now you need your tank to be O2 clean. when youdo that most places will want to take off the nitrox sticker to put air back into the tank.

it is a touchy subject that becomes an issue at the dive shops. it is their liability to do the right thing when it comes to filling tanks, but ends up being at the custermers expense. ask the shop how they will do the nitrox fills and where they stand on filling tanks marked for nitrox use only with air.

otherwise you will end up having tanks for air use, and ones for nitrox use. good luck

THE LAST THING I READ. OOPS was that no tank sticker is required for nitrox 40% or less. you need a VIS to seal the deal and it willsay good for o2 service (100%) or max of 40% orless. the nitrox sticker tells the filler that if air is used it can not be used for > 40% with out cleaning and a new vis. also i see that when air is mentioned it is refering to < grade e air. nitrox (grade e or better) is called nitrox grade air.

that said it all means nothing as it is the shops policy ht counts. i have been turned down for air fill because of the sticker. the filler wanted to remove the valve to insure that no nitrox left the shop and also scrape the sticker. his insurance did not cover him for anything but air. thats ok. the bad part was that i asked what grade of air he had and he did not know. at this point i did not want his air inn my tank. i now am the proud owner of a rix 6. no more 70 mile drives for air.

on that fillers behalf. he said he has had divers do the partial preasure filling at home and do only the o2 load and come to him for the air top off. i guess he now only fillls tanks from empty when it is not the shops rentals, and no nitrox labled tanks.

for what it is worth...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom