Tank pressure gauge without hooking up a regulator -- most accurate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I use. Portability is a challenge, but accuracy and repeatability is hard to beat. :)

IMG_0061_1_.JPG

Tobin

it was primarily the check against other gauges. At $20 a piece, it's easier to just replace them with new ones that have been calibrated because when a gauge goes, it goes off by a percentage not a number, so it's a pita to deal with if you are doing anything other than one pressure reference, i.e. all 3000 or all 3500 etc. Best to replace these as soon as they start drifting which is a LONG time if you take care of them.

the 75% is in reference to the gauges not being accurate after 75% of their listed pressure. All analog gauges have this issue in the upper and lower extremes. So this one is only +_1.5% accurate from 25%-75% of the listed pressures. In most cases for this with 5000psi gauges, that means they're accurate from 1250 to 3750. Anything outside of that is close, but not that close.

I just figured he would have like 10 other SPGs to consense against, like everybody. I don't know that I've ever seen two gauges that read exactly the same, but I always just mentally impute the same % difference all along the range, knowing that esp at the low end, it's likely to be much farther off. I would think full or nearly full would be pretty much in the sweet spot, such as it is.

I understand that measurement devices are always at least somewhat non-linear esp at the extremes, but if that's the case, why don't they fudge the hash marks on the dial to compensate? Or do they already? That's effectively what 'calibration' means in a lot of other measurement contexts.

Up and to the right with a nice stiff HP hose = good, warm fuzzy feeling

Down and too the left with a limp HP hose = About time for a new source of gas.....

Tobin

The DGX ones are fine. They are much more accurate than the SPG's themselves. These are all standard industrial pressure gauges so they're pretty spot on. They are also standard 1/4" NPT fittings so you can swap the gauges out if you decide you want to go digital or whatever. The important bit is getting the "fill adapter" part and then you can put whatever you want on the end of it

I have the DGX one and use an old YOKE adapter when checking yoke tanks I've had it a few years, works fine no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom