Tank on a stanley box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just bought one of those nice big 50 gallon Stanley mobile tool boxes for my dive gear. I want to mount a tank (or 2) to the top by putting some tank straps up on top.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to do this? Where I should cut, what part of the box I need to make slits in if I have to? What are the ideal tools to use? Where's the strongest points, etc etc. Also I noticed that some people use various things to make a stop for the bottom of the tank so that it doesn't accidentally slip down when you are moving the tool box.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. please don't make this into a which box is better debate. I have many different boxes and cases for different purposes.

I used a RotoZip cutter and sliced slots in the center section, on the vertical sides. I cut them towards the rear so the tanks in a close to the wheels as possible.

Box_top.JPG

Box_top1.JPG

Your tanks are resting on the indents on top of the case where you are supposed to lay 2x4s right?

Your tanks are resting on the indents on top of the case where you are supposed to lay 2x4s right?
no, his are on the ridge in the middle, one tank per box

I have used a ratchet tie down all the way around the top and put two Al 80's on on it nestled in those depressions , have pics of my HP100 on it here ...

with the tiedown you need a rubber mat under the tanks to make sure they dont slip , it's worked fine, no slipping, even when .... note ... do not go down an incline at an angle with two tanks on the top, scared the hell out of me when it tipped on it's side .. tanks stayed put though

I think that you could do two tanks easy on a 50gal one , just get two sets of cam straps, or one set if they are the metal, overcenter ones like SP uses ... I would not use metal tank straps as I use my box to sit on, and done my BC on

Hmm, I want to be able to put 2 tanks on mine if I have to, so I'm thinking run it along the indents, maybe put some rubber bath sticky safety things there.

That is where I have the tank, or tanks, on mine ... I've used a rubber welcome mat before and use it to stand on while gearing up, but it's heavy and I dont take it when I use the box on Catalina trips (my Stanley 24gal box fits in the hold of the Dana Point ferry) I've got some of that no slip mat stuff to try under my tank the next time

Back
Top Bottom