tank numbers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
not always obvious what the original hydro test date was by just looking at the numbers...is there a web page somewhere that lets you punch in the numbers and it spits out the manufacture date and/ or other info on that specific tank...seller stated the numbers on the catalina tank but don't see any date...here's an example...
MA002 05C02 CATALINA S80 TC-3ALM207 DOT-3AL3000 AS0309816

05/02.

Hydro dates are stamped as "MM [symbol of hydro facility] YY"

So where you see a two-digit month and a two-digit year separated by a weird mark or letter that's the hydro date.

"CATALINA S80" is the make and model

TC-3ALM207 is the Transport Canada mark (or whatever it's called) [plus the service pressure - 207 bar]

DOT-3AL3000 is the Department of Transportation mark [plus the service pressure - 3000 psi]

AS0309816 is probably the serial number

MA002 is... manufacturing plant?

Hydro date from those numbers would be May of 2002, and is good until May of 2007.

it appears the date is 05 (hydro facility stamp)02. It is good until 05/2007

This is an old post, but I know this will turn up on someone's google search (like it did mine):

i have a very similar Catalina tank and where the date ex. 04C06 the hydro facility is actually a C with a smaller L inside it. what hydro facility? what's the CL stand for? is it Catalina and then whatever L stands for?

MA002? Maybe it does say that but a 4 could look like an A. Mine is actually M4002.

these numbers are really interesting though that they actually use them. i will keep track of all my tank serial numbers. maybe one day my tank will be accidentally swapped w/ someone elses and i will be able to claim it back. not that it makes a big difference on the functionality of a tank but if someone hasn't taken care of their tank or maybe they're almost ready for a hydro test, the tank can go bad on me or i might need to cover the expenses for a hydro test sooner than i could have sworn my tank was due. lol.

hectorj84:
This is an old post, but I know this will turn up on someone's google search (like it did mine):

i have a very similar Catalina tank and where the date ex. 04C06 the hydro facility is actually a C with a smaller L inside it. what hydro facility? what's the CL stand for? is it Catalina and then whatever L stands for?

MA002? Maybe it does say that but a 4 could look like an A. Mine is actually M4002.

these numbers are really interesting though that they actually use them. i will keep track of all my tank serial numbers. maybe one day my tank will be accidentally swapped w/ someone elses and i will be able to claim it back. not that it makes a big difference on the functionality of a tank but if someone hasn't taken care of their tank or maybe they're almost ready for a hydro test, the tank can go bad on me or i might need to cover the expenses for a hydro test sooner than i could have sworn my tank was due. lol.

The US DOT has a handful of authorized testers that are used by manufacturers for the first test of the cylinder. CL is the stamp for one such tester, Cochran Labs, an independent tester that has the approval of the US DOT to put cylinders into service.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom