Tank newb...1st stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many things that go into a rating. There is a service pressure which is what you are stating. Built into that is safety factor which depending on the nature of the part could be anywhere from 1.5 to 3x times the service pressure. All depends on what the part will be used for. The more critical the part the greater the safety factor. The OP made it sound like the if the yoke saw 4000 psi it would fail catastrophically. This would mean a safety factor of less than 1.15. In this day-in-age of lawsuits such a low factor would be business suicide.

The other is that if one fills a 3500 psi for it to each 4000 psi one would need around a 75F rise in temperature. Certainly possible for a cylinder left in the trunk of a car but not exactly when one would have a reg attached.

my yoke adapter says max pressure is 3500

I got into this when my older Oceanic Omega IIs had yokes rated 3000 psi. I just couldn't see using them on 3442 psi tanks. So, I converted them to DIN for $75 per first stage. I still have the yoke parts if I ever change my mind.

One of our modern regulators was already DIN and the new Oceanic Delta 4 was easy to convert so now all of the large tanks and all of the regulators are DIN. I even have PRO valves on a couple of the Al 50s my grandson uses. We may eventually convert his reg to DIN as well.

In any event, when we want to use small tanks in the pool, the 50s are easily converted to DIN.

But, if the Omega II yokes had been rated 3500 psi, I would have never made the change.

Richard

Most hp steels today are coming out of the factory with the provalve (DIN or yoke compatible). As stated before, as long as your 1st stage is rated to 3500, you should be good sticking with yoke. And if you ever need to rent cylinders, it is actually pretty tough to find a rental cylinder that is exclusively DIN anyways (I've tried)... they are all yoke. Save yourself some money and don't change your reg set-up. It's not really necessary.

I only switched to DIN because I like how sturdy it feels, but I really didn't need to.

If you DO decide to switch to DIN, I must caution you that a DIN valve tends to trap more water, which can get blown into your cylinder at the fill station. Just make sure you blow it out well so that it's nice and dry before you get it filled... don't always trust that the FSO will do it for you.

Best of luck with whatever path you take with your gear!

There are many things that go into a rating. There is a service pressure which is what you are stating. Built into that is safety factor which depending on the nature of the part could be anywhere from 1.5 to 3x times the service pressure. All depends on what the part will be used for. The more critical the part the greater the safety factor. The OP made it sound like the if the yoke saw 4000 psi it would fail catastrophically. This would mean a safety factor of less than 1.15. In this day-in-age of lawsuits such a low factor would be business suicide.

The other is that if one fills a 3500 psi for it to each 4000 psi one would need around a 75F rise in temperature. Certainly possible for a cylinder left in the trunk of a car but not exactly when one would have a reg attached.

yes that makes sense

Cousteau used the old Mistral doublehose regulators with their wimpy yokes at 5000psi.

Cousteau used the old Mistral doublehose regulators with their wimpy yokes at 5000psi.

I love that regulator. But I think, just for safety, I'll use it on an LP 72 at 2500 psi.

I don't know what it is about the Mistral that has captured my imagination but I am certainly looking forward to diving it this summer.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom