Tank handle or no tank handle

Tank handle or no tank handke

• Tank handle

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No tank handle

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats wrong with carrying an AL80 over your shoulder with a hand on the valve?
If you're lugging two tanks, you need a couple extra hands for that job.

I don’t get it either, there’s a good of a handle as you’d wish already( the valve) and manufacturers come up with these “ingenious” ideas, and then people buy them
These handles make carrying a cylinder far more comfortable.

huh? one tank in each hand.....two tanks....sorry....don't see the fuss.
No fuss. Just a little awkward to get the 2nd tank up on the other shoulder with just one hand. Besides, I prefer to be able to support the tank slightly with the hand that isn't grasping the valve.

Even less fuss is bending my knees slightly, grasping one handle in each hand and standing up.

But each to their own. I still haven't had any entanglement issues with any of my tank handles, and besides if I were that afraid of getting tangled I probably shouldn't have a valve or a 1st stage on the tank either. So I believe that argument to be rather weak. I prefer a handle on my tanks, and the handle doesn't make it more difficult to carry the tank on my shoulder if I wanted to (which I sometimes do).

These handles make carrying a cylinder far more comfortable.
I have carried tanks with those handles, and I’d disagree, it makes less comfortable, because grabbing the tank by the handle, makes the tank swingle in an angle, which makes the handle itself be at an angle, compare this to the tank valve, which will be straight up and it is of a better shape to handle than the object created to be a handle, I know, sounds funny.
Additionally, you’d have to twist your hands either forwards or backwards, since the swing created by the handle will either put the tank butt hitting your ankles or the tank valve hitting your thighs, contrast this with valve being used as handle, the tank stays perfectly vertical, and your hands stays inwards in its natural position.

So, yeah, tank valves are way more comfortable to use. Not to mention the extra entanglement points created, the extra bulkiness getting in the way of valve manipulation, BCD donning/doffing, boat bungee strapping, etc...

Sure, some valves are awkward to grab, but they’re old style valves and are certainly the minority and wouldn’t even warrant the handle. They are unnecessary!

If you're lugging two tanks, you need a couple extra hands for that job.

It’s easier to have one in each hand, you are in balance that way
Even with 2 12l steel twin sets I take one in each hand.

Edit, lugging means putting them on your shoulder? Then I get what you mean.

I have carried tanks with those handles, and I’d disagree, it makes less comfortable, because grabbing the tank by the handle, makes the tank swingle in an angle, which makes the handle itself be at an angle, compare this to the tank valve, which will be straight up and it is of a better shape to handle than the object created to be a handle, I know, sounds funny.
Additionally, you’d have to twist your hands either forwards or backwards, since the swing created by the handle will either put the tank butt hitting your ankles or the tank valve hitting your thighs, contrast this with valve being used as handle, the tank stays perfectly vertical, and your hands stays inwards in its natural position.

So, yeah, tank valves are way more comfortable to use. Not to mention the extra entanglement points created, the extra bulkiness getting in the way of valve manipulation, BCD donning/doffing, boat bungee strapping, etc...

Sure, some valves are awkward to grab, but they’re old style valves and are certainly the minority and wouldn’t even warrant the handle. They are unnecessary!

I guess everyone will have a different opinion. I find carrying the cylinders with my hands pronated or supinated (so the hang angle is parallel to each other) perfectly comfortable. Maybe because I'm using to lifting a start bar for regular and reverse curls. Grabbing the valve knob cannot be said to be as grabbing a solid handle. Now if you are using the POS flimsy one, then yes.: not comfortable.

Think outside the box... Make a T-handle and some cord to slip over/around the valve (like the old school ski boot carrier)... it is removable. I also like the XS Scuba Carry Sling with a handle (carries horizontal)...

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom