Tank Fill Legal Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG, Burhan.

Have you not taken FSO training?

Here's the blurb from a course description.

I have done what you have in the course description for my employees who were authorized to fill tanks at my dive shop in NY. They had the course from PCI. We had also a very comprehensive step by step procedure list for running the compressor and filling tanks for dive shop tanks and customers' tanks. If a customer got pissed off, the heck with them but were were going by our safety procedures and my staff had proper training and authorization.

I asked you because I thought there were other issues and requirements that were cumbersome I didn't know about.

I have done what you have in the course description for my employees who were authorized to fill tanks at my dive shop in NY. They had the course from PCI. We had also a very comprehensive step by step procedure list for running the compressor and filling tanks for dive shop tanks and customers' tanks. If a customer got pissed off, the heck with them but were were going by our safety procedures and my staff had proper training and authorization.

I asked you because I thought there were other issues and requirements that were cumbersome I didn't know about.
The PSI course is what I used to meet the OSHA requirement for FSO training and recordkeeping on Spree.

Is there a law or regulation in the U.S. requiring scuba certification for tank fills?

Unlike many other countries, there are very few (if any) federal laws regulating scuba diving. As others have mentioned, there are regulations covering fill station operations. The concern of the feds is the high pressure cylinder safety, NOT the scuba diving. There are occasionally state or local municipality laws covering aspects of diving such as dive flag use, solo diving, etc. As far as I am aware, none of those are federal. They are all local ... state, county, or city ... ordinances. I don't believe any of them require certification to get a fill. The regulations that cover that are the fill station operation regulations referenced by Wookie. With that said, I am rarely asked to show a c-card to get a fill. I have been asked on occasion, but probably less than a dozen times at most.

Short answer to the question acutally asked*:

No.​

* "Is there a law or regulation in the U.S. requiring scuba certification for tank fills?"

Unlike many other countries, there are very few (if any) federal laws regulating scuba diving. As others have mentioned, there are regulations covering fill station operations. The concern of the feds is the high pressure cylinder safety, NOT the scuba diving. There are occasionally state or local municipality laws covering aspects of diving such as dive flag use, solo diving, etc. As far as I am aware, none of those are federal. They are all local ... state, county, or city ... ordinances. I don't believe any of them require certification to get a fill. The regulations that cover that are the fill station operation regulations referenced by Wookie. With that said, I am rarely asked to show a c-card to get a fill. I have been asked on occasion, but probably less than a dozen times at most.
Same

Back
Top Bottom