tank brace vs no tank brace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
ok so im ordering my chrsitmas scuba package tomorrow, ive gotten 2 quotes. alls i wanted to know is, is not having a tank brace (not sure the exact words for it) like in the cressi travel light bcd really extremely uncomfortable or is easy to deal with? im stuck between a traveling bcd with no plastic where the tank is, and one with plastic there. i will be traveling with it alot, but imnot going to buy a bcd thats easy to travel with if its uncomfortable to use. defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I've tried the aqualung zuma, it also has no back plate. This bc may be ok for 1 dive, but if you are doing more than one dive or dives on multiple days I would invest in better bc. If you think about it, a metal tank is right against your spine rolling back and forth, not so comfortable.

Good luck with your purchase.

.......... im stuck between a traveling bcd with no plastic where the tank is, and one with plastic there. i will be traveling with it alot, but imnot going to buy a bcd thats easy to travel with if its uncomfortable to use. defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Are you able to try before you buy? (or at least try them on)

If you really want to save weight but maintain a high level of comfort & stability you might want to consider going with an aluminum backplate and travel wing. (it may even be less expensive tan the bc you're considering)

In twenty or so years of wearing soft padded no back support Tusa Tabata bcds with tanks nestling in the V created by the muscles on either side of the spine, and hard pacs, in sometimes very rough conditions,
I was very comfortable and could not find substantial difference.

And todays bcds are designed and made much more better.

I have a mares icon, and it was really comfortable one it's test dive, so I wouldn't assume you wills be uncomfortable just because it doesn't have a back plate/support.

Ben

I've tried the aqualung zuma, it also has no back plate. This bc may be ok for 1 dive, but if you are doing more than one dive or dives on multiple days I would invest in better bc. If you think about it, a metal tank is right against your spine rolling back and forth, not so comfortable.

Good luck with your purchase.

I would disagree with this at least for me. I moved from a Nighthawk to the Zuma for ease of travel. I dove 4 days in a row in Grand Cayman with the Zuma over thanksgiving and found it more comfortable that the nighthawk. There was never any pressure or pain from the tank on your back and it actually felt better as the weight of the tank sits more on your hips instead of your shoulders. There was zero roll in the tank. A very comfortable BC.

The only issue I had is you have to make sure the BC sits high enough on the tank, it seems to sit higher than a standard BC. The crew on the boat kept setting it too low when they moved BCs. 1st stage kept hitting me in the head the 1st time I did it, kept a better eye on it after that.

B.

SJ, have you looked at the Zeagle Express Tech? It is very light and easy to travel with and very affordable. I have over 100 dives on mine and love it. NetDoc has a thread on it with tons of info. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom