Tank and Wing Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am longtime diver (since 64') who does a fair amount of solo diving. I am wanting to set up a basic set of doubles for the safety factor..."system isolation". Currently I dive single Faber 95's with 30-32% EAN mounted to a Trans Pac. I do mount a 19cf pony from time to time.
Question and Advice...What do you folks think about a pair of old steel 72's versus a pair of HP (3442) steel 80's. I really like the idea of the small, relatively light HP 80's. I am 59. Most of my diving is midwest frshwater in the 70 to 130 foot range. Would the HP 80's trim out okay with a Dive Rite Trek Wing on a Steel Plate or am I better off setting up a old pair of galanized 72's? I will be running 30% EAN in the doubles. Is the 47# Trek Wing a good joice with PST HP 80's or is there a better joice?
Lastly does anyone know the weights and bouyancy of a full and empty vintage 72?
Thanks much for your replies. I appreciate all your knowledge.
Bob S

I am longtime diver (since 64') who does a fair amount of solo diving. I am wanting to set up a basic set of doubles for the safety factor..."system isolation". Currently I dive single Faber 95's with 30-32% EAN mounted to a Trans Pac. I do mount a 19cf pony from time to time.
Question and Advice...What do you folks think about a pair of old steel 72's versus a pair of HP (3442) steel 80's. I really like the idea of the small, relatively light HP 80's. I am 59. Most of my diving is midwest frshwater in the 70 to 130 foot range. Would the HP 80's trim out okay with a Dive Rite Trek Wing on a Steel Plate or am I better off setting up a old pair of galanized 72's? I will be running 30% EAN in the doubles. Is the 47# Trek Wing a good joice with PST HP 80's or is there a better joice?
Lastly does anyone know the weights and bouyancy of a full and empty vintage 72?
Thanks much for your replies. I appreciate all your knowledge.
Bob S

Vintage double 72's will be -8 to -9 full and between -1 and -2 empty. My full double 72's are 76 lbs.

The most common comment about doubled HP80s is head heavy. I.e hard to trim out unless you are a short person. Me I would go for a set of LP72s. In fact I have been trying to put together a set to complement my other doubles.

Back
Top Bottom