tampons? pads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I've skimmed the forum and did see information about "period swimwear" - but just wondering
we are about to go to Florida - family trip - me, hubby, son, daughter-in-love - she will likely be on her period while we are there (and diving) and as I didn't start diving until after menopause I can't really help her. we are NOT worried about sharks - just putting that out there up front. Her concern is getting in the water - then back on the boat (a boat with no head) - thinking is a pad would soak up sea water and be useless at that point - tampons might work - but what if she peed while in the water? Would they then be useless? has anyone used the period swimwear - does it really work for the in the water- out of the water - in the water - etc days?

Yes, pads are useless for swimming; they’ll immediately be soaked with seawater and lose all absorbency. Plus they become swollen and unwieldy when soaking wet, very uncomfortable (as well as not doing their job).

Tampons work perfectly. I’m out diving two or three days a week, and dive all through my periods. No problems at all, even on multiple dives. If she hasn’t used tampons previously, she should def get used to them before the trip so it’s not a new/uncomfortable thing to juggle on top of the actual diving.

Never used the swim underwear.

Yes, pads are useless for swimming; they’ll immediately be soaked with seawater and lose all absorbency. Plus they become swollen and unwieldy when soaking wet, very uncomfortable (as well as not doing their job).

Tampons work perfectly. I’m out diving two or three days a week, and dive all through my periods. No problems at all, even on multiple dives. If she hasn’t used tampons previously, she should def get used to them before the trip so it’s not a new/uncomfortable thing to juggle on top of the actual diving.

Never used the swim underwear.
so, not to get into too much TMI territory here - but when I'm in the ocean diving I have to pee - if she pees while wearing a tampon will that soak into the tampon. I was also never able to wear tampons myself so this is all new to me

No, you can pee perfectly fine wearing a tampon.

Tampons are inserted into the vaginal canal; once they are in, they sit fully inside with a bit of string that hangs out to allow for easy removal. The urethra is a couple inches in front of that. Because of that, urine exiting the urethra never comes into contact with the tampon. You can pee (in a toilet) while wearing a tampon without issue, as well as underwater in a wetsuit!

And totally fine to ask! That’s what this forum is here for, I love that you’re supporting your DIL in this!

Wayyyy back in the day, :)
Pads were useless when diving. I had very heavy periods and even the most absorbent tampons were insufficient once I got throughly wet.
I chose dive charters that had a head or returned to a bathroom between dives. Honestly painting everything white on a boat is not female friendly. :-(

Another option for her to consider is a diva cup, or menstrual cup. They cover the cervix and catch everything internally; safe to wear while diving and can be emptied between dives (if there is a head available) or after getting off the boat. Again, def something to practice for one or two cycles on dry land before taking it out to sea!

Tampons. You can swim with them so you can dive with them. I used them for decades. You can pee just fine wearing them.

Diva cup is also an option, but not for the squeamish.

And dark towels.. just in case...

If there is time and she is on BC pills, she could talk with her provider about extending the days for the active pills and avoid a period during your trip altogether.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom