Tall guy wants a shorty...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleGoat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a new shorty for warm water diving. I would prefer it to be 3mm but if I have to settle for 2mm, I will. Now comes the sticky part: I am 6'3" and roughly 185 lbs (190.5cm and roughly 84 kg). I can't find a manufacturer that has a shorty with the appropriate dimensions. I can find all sorts of full length suits and have a semi-dry that fits awesome from scuba pro but no shorties with a tall length. I would rather not Quasimodo it on the surface if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know of a non-custom manufacturer that fits the bill? If not, I guess I will have to go the custom route and pay $350-$400 bucks for a proper fitting shorty...

keep looking, they exist....but you might need to go elsewhere than a dive shop to find it. Sorry I don't have a name for you (they are packed deep away somewhere, as I am in a cold water climate where they never get used), but I am 6'-7", and was around 230# when I purchased a shorty for a warm water trip. I'm quite confident a "size down" would fit you for warm water. Maybe think about some neoprene shorts and a vest - that might work if the 1 piece is not long enough. Like I said, it may not be through a dive shop.

Unless you are going to constantly be using one, no, you don't need to go custom. I had to for cold water for constant use, (but unfortunately, 20 years later, my shape doesn't match what I was when I was 20), and now is sits in perfect shape, waiting for me to return to my youth...(like I will ever see 185# again......).

Think about different ways to achieve your goals.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does this thread title read like a personal ad on Craig's List?

But seriously, look at custom wetsuits. The price often isn't bad and they fit and work MUCH better for those of us without off-the-rack bodies. I use www.aquaflite.com.

Is it just me, or does this thread title read like a personal ad on Craig's List?

But seriously, look at custom wetsuits. The price often isn't bad and they fit and work MUCH better for those of us without off-the-rack bodies. I use Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite.

My intent was at humor and less at a personal ad look-a-like...:D

I was looking at Aquaflite and the quotes from just running figures was $189 (Custom fitted, 3mm shorty with neck seal and key pocket) and that doesn't include shipping. I would like to have someone who actually knew what they were doing when I am measured so that would run the bill up a bit... Not quite the $350-$400 that I was expecting, but not $130 for an off-the-shelf...

I guess I will either have to bite the bullet or keep my eyes open.

My intent was at humor and less at a personal ad look-a-like...:D

I was looking at Aquaflite and the quotes from just running figures was $189 (Custom fitted, 3mm shorty with neck seal and key pocket) and that doesn't include shipping. I would like to have someone who actually knew what they were doing when I am measured so that would run the bill up a bit... Not quite the $350-$400 that I was expecting, but not $130 for an off-the-shelf...

I guess I will either have to bite the bullet or keep my eyes open.

The AquaFlite measurement scheme includes checks to limit errors. I had my wife measure me with a tailor's cloth measuring tape. My suit fit perfectly. Plus, it was made, shipped and delivered within a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom