Talking Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek:
hmmm... thought we were already talking under water. Jus have to learn to translate.

oBsta = Lobster
BaaaabaKuuuuba = Baracuda
dtheYaaaaaCeeeeeethoooooozzzzffthaaaat = Did You see the size of that?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = there is a shark behind you!
UCK = I just hit my head on the bulkhead (with eyes partially closed)
UCK = I think my leg is entangled or has just been bit (with eyes the size of tea cups)

I really like Dectek's interpretations. They are great. We can start an entire cottage industry. Dictionaries, travel interpretation books, etc...

My dive buddy and I tested the Water Talkie.

The claim that you can hear someone 15 away is false.

IMO, the Water Talkie will enhance UW communications if you are about one or two feet away from someone ear. There is still a lot of distortion of the voice. However, it works better than trying to talk though a regulator or trying to speak directly into the water.

See and hear the results in the test video.
http://www.gpatton.com/media/watertalkie.wmv

Note the sound picked up by the video cam has to penetrate an Ocean Images UW video case which is very substantial. I heard the voice a little better that the video cam picked up....

Enjoy!!

BIGSAGE136:
http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/06/waterproof_hous.html

Now we can hear yakking on the reef...as well as the grocery store...sidewalk...funerals....:blah:

"When we heard about a waterproof casing for a mobiles we got all excited and imagined making voice calls while poring over sunken wrecks or checking (or maybe that should be surfing) the web while taking a break from lengths at the local pool. Alas the WaveCase water proof casing or mobiles doesn’t let you do either of those things, instead it is designed to house camera phones

Actually, the analogy is more like, instead of only seeing poor quality pictures of indiscernable objects on land; we now get to see poorer quality pictures of indiscernable pictures from what may appear to be under water.

As far as the water talkie...those are intended for kids in the pool. There was a device in the 70's...it was orange with a black diaphram and a purge valve. you took a big breath of air, blew the device clear and could get a few words out at a time. It reminds me of those wide base coffee mugs that are supposed to be spill-proof.

Conchchowder:
Alas the WaveCase water proof casing or mobiles doesn’t let you do either of those things, instead it is designed to house camera phones

Would people really want their cell phones while on a dive? For me, someone who is attached to my cell phone... I view my time underwater as my PRIVATE time, where I have no cell phones, and nobody to talk or listen to. I like to only hear the bubbles from my breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom