Talking Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KzooJason

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm sitting around, reading Wired magazine and I come across a list of cool gadgets under $30. One of them is a Water Talkie which, allegedly, allows the user to speak underwater. According to the article it "creates a pocket of air you talk into to transmit your voice through H20 undistorted". I wonder how long it'll be before I see one of these clipped to somebody's BC. It was hard enough getting people to shut up above water. :05:

Jason

I haven't seen many advertisements that tell what it doesn't do! The case is a little tricky in the reading. Wire me up and let me go...

Randy

"The casing, which is impervious to a depth of around 20 metres, also comes with a strap that hangs around your neck."

around your neck, hmmm. Someone didn't think that one through very well...

That appeals as much as intercoms for riding the motorcycle with the wife. NOT AT ALL. A friend got one of those and pulled the fuse at the first rest stop.

I can see the use of talking while diving doing a difficult, highly technical dive, but I do not want to hear anyone yapping on a 35 foot reef while I am getting my zen on.

I liked the walkie talkies my ex and I used on our motorcycles. She was the faster, riskier rider of the pair and would tell me that after the motorhome came by it was safe to cross the double ywellow line to pass traffic on the mountain road we were on. :D
Underwater, I prefer to hear the crackling of the shrimp and movement of the rocks in the surf zone. If I need to talk to a buddy, I'll use a slate, or if he/she is trained we'll use sign language.
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

if you really really have to say something try taking off your glove if a light weight nylon or canvas type , take regulator out of mouth and blow air into it,then hold glove next to persons ear..works ok and very inexpensive..

Don't know about anyone else, but I think the best part of diving is being alone in your thoughts away from the daily chatter.
I generally am busy looking around at the beauty of everything around me, perhaps the odd tap and point with my dive buddy, but do we really want to hear "The Crazy Frog" ringtone permeating through the water. A few beeps from a dive computer is to be expected. But I think I would feel the urge to throttle someone with their handset neckstrap if I had to endure irritating polyphonic ringtones under the water.
"Glub Glub, HELLLLOOO, YES I'M UNDER THE WATER, HOW DID THE MERGER GO!!" Could this be the future of diving ?

Lonefox:
"Glub Glub, HELLLLOOO, YES I'M UNDER THE WATER, HOW DID THE MERGER GO!!" Could this be the future of diving ?

Let's hope it does not come to a bunch of chit-chat underwater. However, I order two "water talkies" yesterday. One for a Dive instructor friend's birthday present. It might make a good tool for a instructor.

The other one is for me as a novelty. I will let you know how it works!!

Glenn Patton :shout: :bfish:

hmmm... thought we were already talking under water. Jus have to learn to translate.

oBsta = Lobster
BaaaabaKuuuuba = Baracuda
dtheYaaaaaCeeeeeethoooooozzzzffthaaaat = Did You see the size of that?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = there is a shark behind you!
UCK = I just hit my head on the bulkhead (with eyes partially closed)
UCK = I think my leg is entangled or has just been bit (with eyes the size of tea cups)

Back
Top Bottom