Talking and Beeping ads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone else getting talking ads "Congratulations, you have won a free ipod nano" and also some banner ads that do a ding-dong beep?
If I become a supporting member, will the talking and beeping ads go away?
I'm not criticizing the board for selling ads, the ones that talk or ding can be really aggravating.

- I moved this to Site Support - :)

We don't know which ads appear for individuals from Google. If they are from Google, they say, "ads by google" Google ads are determined by Google based on content relevance and your browsing history of the internet in general.

None of the SB sponsors (who sponsor SB directly) have talking and/or beeping ads.

To answer your question about "going red" the answer is yes... If you select that option once you've paid your membership.

After going red can I suppress just the google / yahoo ads? I don't mind the scuba-related ads at all - it's nice to see the products offered.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have been spammed outside of ScubaBoard, and the ads are popping up while your here. I would run Spybot and Ad-Aware ASAP.

There's currently no option to seperate them. Perhaps (it seems plausible) that can be implemented though, where users can opt out of google/yahoo only. I'll bring that up with the other admins :)

-- Like Rick mentions...

Are they pop-ups? Because we don't have any pop-up ads from anyone. If you ARE seeing pop-ups, then definitely run a spyware check on your system.

The free ipod nano ad appears on the left column of scubaboard.
Appears to be an ad from Yahoo according to its tagging.

Sounds like you have been spammed outside of ScubaBoard, and the ads are popping up while your here. I would run Spybot and Ad-Aware ASAP.
When I went to load those free spy buster programs on my daughter's computer, I learned that there are other sites with similar names. Use these two...

The home of Spybot-S&D! Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.1 - download, update, run

Ad-Aware 2007 - Reviews and free Ad-Aware 2007 downloads at Download.com - download, update, run

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom