Talk to me about PADI Divemaster cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many discussions of what getting DM involves here: Going Pro. But every case seems different. And most of those discussions ask what is their goal after getting it.

I'm a NAUI DMC, so not up on Padi requirements. But generally it involves showing skills to 'demonstration quality' and showing you can assist/help/lead students/divers. Both often involve an extended period of time. It is not really a 6 confined + 8 open water type of thing. (Though NAUI DM comes after AI, while in Padi it comes before.)

Been contemplating doing this. Not sure why... just winter doldrums I guess.

There's obviously some online work that it entails, but tell me about the other part of it. Lots of schools have a whole interning thing for a couple of weeks, but that is difficult for me as I work full time and I'd rather spend my vacations vacationing.

Been trying to talk to my LDS about it, but every time I stop in, the boss is out on some errand.

What type of classroom, confined, or open water work is required and about how many days?

I currently have about 300 dives, AOW and rescue.
Still sounds like your LDS is the best option, especially as you don't want to spend vacation time doing the course.

Either way, I'd definitely avoid anywhere that offers training to completion in two weeks. No way you can turn out a well trained DM in that timeframe.

I never wanted to be a pro but wanted DM. It was just a personal goal. I am happy I did it.

You're asking for advice... so here it is.

If you're not interested in teaching, then DM is a total waste of your time and money.

If you have "winter doldrums" then use the money you seem prepared to invest in DM training to travel someplace and dive.

You seem to have written off doing something like a cavern or intro-cave program; however, the take-home benefits of this type of program is far, far more applicable to ALL forms of diving than a DM program.
I hear what you are saying.

Been contemplating doing this. Not sure why... just winter doldrums I guess.

There's obviously some online work that it entails, but tell me about the other part of it. Lots of schools have a whole interning thing for a couple of weeks, but that is difficult for me as I work full time and I'd rather spend my vacations vacationing.

Been trying to talk to my LDS about it, but every time I stop in, the boss is out on some errand.

What type of classroom, confined, or open water work is required and about how many days?

I currently have about 300 dives, AOW and rescue.

Agency requirements might differ but one can expect to work on in water skills and to assist at least once on every level of training. You should be able to complete it on your schedule.. there is no time frame for completion. I can try and get you a list of the required sign offs need for the PAD DM if you want.

Seems that you have an interest in teaching. Don't let the course drag on forever. Please don't DM without pay. Ie.-- I was pretty sure that after I finished the course I could DM with the same shop with pay.

I can tell you what is required, I can tell you how many days were involved for a DM class I just conducted, in 2019. What I cannot help you with is how long it will take with the LDS that you are going to work with.

The program involves academics, skill development / proficiency, and experiential learning. The requirements include:

Knowledge Development
9 Topics covered in online independent study and classroom sessions
Demonstrate successful performance on a two-part Final Exam
Develop and submit an Emergency Assistance Plan​

Waterskills Development
Watermanship and Stamina - timed and scored. You must get a total of 15 points across 5 activities
400 yard swim
800 yard snorkel swim
15 minute tread
100 yard inert diver tow
Problem-solving exercise​
Diver Rescue Skills (essentially, mastery performance of Rescue Exercise #7)
Dive Skill Demonstrations - this is where they develop the ability to perform, at a 'Demonstration Quality' level, 24 skills (the skills that are taught in the PADI Open Water Diver course, such as Regulator Recovery, Mask Clearing, No Mask breathing and swimming, etc., etc.).​

Practical Applications
Practical Skills
Skill 1: Dive Site Set Up and Management
Skill 2: Mapping Project
Skill 3: Dive Briefing
Skill 4: Search & Recovery Scenario
Skill 5: Deep Dive Scenario​
Divemaster Conducted Program Workshops
Workshop 1: Scuba Review in Confined Water
Workshop 2: Skin Diver Course and Snorkeling Supervision
Workshop 3: Discover Scuba Diving Program in Confined Water
Workshop 4: Discover Scuba Diving Program – Additional Open Water Dive
Workshop 5: Discover Local Diving in Open Water​

Practical Assessments (aka Internships)
Open Water Diver students in Confined Water
Open Water Diver students in Open Water
Continuing Education Diver students in Open Water
Certified Divers in Open Water​

I have my DM candidates complete Divemaster Online, and Dive Theory Online, instead of me conducting the classroom segments. It usually takes them about 8-10 hours for each course (working at their own pace, and times). Some are quicker, some are slower.

We completed the Confined Water work (Waterskills development, skill scoring, and Workshops 1 and 3) in seven 3-hour pool sessions. Now, in every DM course, I expect them to get in the pool on their own to practice, outside of the scheduled times, so there was, in reality, more pool time involved, but I can't tell you exactly how much more. As it turned out, all of last year's DM candidates had Deep Diver certification already so I didn't have to do a Deep Dive Scenario, and 3 of the 6 had Search and recovery Diver certification, so I completed the S&R Scenario with 3 of them in a ~3 hour session built around their AOW internship.

We completed the Open Water activities (Workshops 2,4, and 5, and Rescue Exercise #7 in OW) in two 6-hour days. The Mapping Project is conducted on their own, and usually involves each DMC completing 3-4 OW dives (hour long) of the area, working in buddy teams. They complete the requirements for Skill 1 and Skill 3 in their internships. And the Internships take as long as the classes they are working with require. DM candidates are expected to participate in full CW (variable, usually 4 half days in the pool), full OW (2 weekend half days)and full AOW classes (2 weekend days).

Again, this is how I did it / do it. Other Instructors may take more time, while some may take less.

I won't offer comment on whether you should or shouldn't pursue it, other than to say that I pursued Divemaster training because I wanted to improve my diving skills, and - at the time I took the course - I had no intention of becoming an Instructor. I accomplished my goal.

You're asking for advice... so here it is.

If you're not interested in teaching, then DM is a total waste of your time and money.

If you have "winter doldrums" then use the money you seem prepared to invest in DM training to travel someplace and dive.

You seem to have written off doing something like a cavern or intro-cave program; however, the take-home benefits of this type of program is far, far more applicable to ALL forms of diving than a DM program.

I disagree. I have NO interest in actually becoming an instructor but want my DM training and certification for a variety of reasons that I won't get into but they are legit for me.

The skills taught and gone over go beyond what someone might learn in other specialties or disciplines. Just last week the leadership and group control skills I developed in the DM program came into play during a multi-group dive in Tulum that took an unexpected turn.

I disagree. I have NO interest in actually becoming an instructor but want my DM training and certification for a variety of reasons that I won't get into but they are legit for me.

The skills taught and gone over go beyond what someone might learn in other specialties or disciplines. Just last week the leadership and group control skills I developed in the DM program came into play during a multi-group dive in Tulum that took an unexpected turn.
I think the point is Buoyancy/Trim/Propulsion up to a cavern cert (from someone at least cave trained) aid you in the water whether you are looking at fish, following a guide, or in charge of a group.

The maintenance of skills and calm while task loaded or stressed of a cavern/intro cave cert aids you if you are responding to an issue while on your own, in a group, or leading.

The leadership and group management skills you learn in DM aid you if you are in charge of or must take charge of guiding a group, or help in that. Yes, leadership dive classes are the key way to get that for diving. But the prior two still aid you there, by raising your base skills that you then add leadership response on top of.

(With Rescue starting you on the path of keeping a watchful eye on your fellow divers to head off any incidents, but not raising it to the DM level of watching a gaggle of untrained students.)

I agree with you. Some will argue that the DM course offers no value to those that do not plan to teach, but this is not true. There certainly is value in the skills and training of the DM course, even for people that do not intend to teach. If nothing else, just as the Rescue course does, the DM course helps expand your perspective on diving and sharpens your skills for identifying and preventing problems.

But the overall theme of the DM course is "here is the stuff you will need to know and do when you are assisting with classes or are otherwise responsible for other divers." Which is why so many responses here are asking the OP "what do you plan to do with it?" Some people taking the DM course only to improve their skills will get frustrated that so much of their time is spent training them to assist with students. So for some it's a lot of time and money invested with a relatively meager return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom