Talc Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky1948

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Annoyed by talcum powder flying everywhere when you are dusting your seals? When I got my DUI CLX450, it came with a convenient sealed cloth bag of talc. I couldn't find any similar items in scuba stores. However, I did discover that billiards players use them. You can find a couple of different types at www.platinumbilliards.com. (Yes, it's more expensive than any other alternative, but it's a lot more convenient. Old age I guess....)

I note that you are old enough to recall when Pat Boone was at the top of the music charts in the 1950s. Recall his "White Bucks?" FYI they were shoes. To keep them white every one used a Bunny Bag of white talc...what is old is also new with a diffferent application.

FYI the SPG was introduced in 1954--when you were just a baby in arms

sam miller:
FYI the SPG was introduced in 1954--when you were just a baby in arms

LOL. The first time I dived was in 1965. Double-hose reg, no BCD, no SPG, no J-valve. (No c-card either.) Fortunately the reg was so poor that you could tell when it was time to ascend since it began to breathe hard.

I actually thought SPGs came a bit later...thanks for the info!

Sharky1948:
Annoyed by talcum powder flying everywhere when you are dusting your seals? When I got my DUI CLX450, it came with a convenient sealed cloth bag of talc. I couldn't find any similar items in scuba stores. However, I did discover that billiards players use them. You can find a couple of different types at www.platinumbilliards.com. (Yes, it's more expensive than any other alternative, but it's a lot more convenient. Old age I guess....)

I just received the Slippy talc bags in the mail. Unfortunately the bag is not as porous as the DUI one, and therefore insufficient talc comes out. Oh well...it seemed like a good idea. If anyone else has better luck, let me know!

I use an old sock filled with talc stored in a ziploc bag, is that heathanism?

CD_in_Chitown:
I use an old sock filled with talc stored in a ziploc bag, is that heathanism?
How does that work? Your old socks will destroy anything on contact. I'm surprised federal law doesn't require something more substantial than a ziploc baggie. :mooner:

Joe

Even thou I have a White's Dry Suit, my LDS sells the DUI Bags for $6.00 CDN. A definate must have. How many other Scuba Items that you actualy can use are this cheap. I bought 2, one to use and one to loose:D .

CatalinaCanuck:
Even thou I have a White's Dry Suit, my LDS sells the DUI Bags for $6.00 CDN. A definate must have. How many other Scuba Items that you actualy can use are this cheap. I bought 2, one to use and one to loose:D .

Does you LDS do mail orders?

Back
Top Bottom