Taking the Plunge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys
I'm reletively new to diving and I'm going to take the plunge and start to buy my own gear...My question would be..does anyone have any recommendations on what brand to go with..ie: what fits best ect...
Im not sure whether I should buy a pack ready to go or buy separtely and do I go ladies BCD or unisex...Gahhh...so much to take in..:(
I already have mask,fins, wetsuit!!!

Thanks in advanced!:D

You will get as many different recommendations as you get replies!

I own an Aqualung Pearl BC, an Aqualung Zuma BC, and a Zeagle Zena BC. If I had gotten my Zena first I wouldn't have purchased the other two. I love it - it adjusts in so many different places, and pieces of it can be ordered to different sizes, so that it can accommodate any figure. It also packs pretty light but will hold enough weight that I can use it for cold or warm water diving.

I also love my Oceanic Heads-Up Display mask - but it's on the expensive side (incorporates your computer and air gage via transmitter).

I also have to say that whenever you can - and I know that budget gets in the way - try to support your local dive shop. If you have problems with your gear it helps if you have a local person to speak with about returns, repairs, or if you're just not happy with the item. That said, there are lots of items we have purchased online at diversdirect, leisurepro, etc.

Have fun!

IMHO you should try everything you can get your hands on and see what feels right for you. I have a little bit of everything....Oxycheq bp/w, Apeks reg and octo, Atomic mask, ScubaPro fins, Suunto computer and various wetsuits. Happy Hunting!

It may well be worth getting a package from your local dive shop for regs, computer & BCD - these can save you some money but make sure you check this by looking around both locally and on the net. Have a think about how often you dive and how often you plan to dive in the future and based on the price of a package and the cost of continuing to rent work out how long it will take for the package to pay for itself. If this is going to be say 18 months or longer then you may be better to wait a while until you a sure about what type of diving really interests you and what gear you need for it. For example if you want to get into wreck or cave diving or even just do a GUE course a jacket BCD isn't going to be suitable. It sounds time consuming but whether you go for a package or individual items try and do as much research (reviews etc) on each individual item as you can.

Back
Top Bottom