Taking the plunge - My migration to UW Photography (Part 3)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
Again, sorry. I'm gonna go now, someplace safe. Where no one will be mean to me.

Please don't! I wasn't being mean...at least that wasn't my intention! Just trying to explain, you'd be surprised at how many folks think we have all these special perks and priveledges. The only thing we get is free parking! :D

Thanks for sharing - this is really interesting and I like the shots!

I do have a tip for you (or anyone) on schooting from inside schools: be neutral and completely horizontal and be completely still- come in from near the bottom of the school, not the top. Hang out there moving your fins ever so slightly towards the school. With our fish you will find that the outer ones kind of gravitate to you and if you wait long enough the whole school will come in around you. The trick is no movement of your arms/head and patience...I've been there for ten minutes just feeling part of the group!

Also don't look the lead fish in the eyes and do not point your camera or strobe at them (if you want a lead shot point at the last minute, take a preset focus thing off one of the other fish) as you set yourself up - they tend to veer off and that takes the whole group away. The fish in the middle & rear seem to be more mellow about the whole thing.

Don't know if it works for all types of fish, but it's worth a try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom