Taking the plunge - My migration to UW Photography (Part 3)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK - so I got the rig together, and I finally got it wet - really wet this weekend on a 2 dayer to San Clemente Island / Catalina Island. Locals will know what I mean. Picture two smallish islands off of the So Cal coast, mostly desert (mojave, not palm trees) and you get the idea. Great diving, but essentially rocks in the sea.

Things I've learned so far, include:

* Save the killer landscape shots for topside. The first three rules of Underwater Photography we've all read and heard (1 - get close, 2 - get CLOSE and 3 - GET CLOSE) apply to me. Not that I thought I was somehow immune from the physics of shooting wet, but I was in denial. Bottom line - there's a reason there aren't too many landscape shots underwater - you simply can't get enough light. After seeing some of the amazing wideangle work by VTernovski (here and some other places... truely inspiring work, my friend...check out his/her gallery) I was fired up to go shoot huge vistas UW. That was very ambitious on my first day of shooting - and I got a few dark semi-keepers, and realized I needed to radically alter my thinking. I don't have the eye or the chops to turn out VT-scapes yet. I get the idea - take the biggest shot, monochrome it so you can pull out the contrast you need to keep it dynamic... A lot of dark stuff is saved by making it mono and chranking it up... we all do it. I just don't have the game to even capture those big shots yet, let alone produce them.

* There is a reason you see so many Macros. See above. Enough light, most macro stuff doesn't move too fast (like fish) and Macro lenses are cheaper than Dome Ports and Wide Angles. I need to plan a Macro Dive sometime soon. I did some close ups, but no Macros - simply because I was buddy diving and I didn't want Arnaud to have to hover about while I messed with my rig.

* Open Circuit is LOUD. Fish spook when I roll up on them with cam in hand, sounding all Darth Vader. So I started holding my breath (better, taking a deep breath) to move in silently... of course that presents its own issue - specifically bouyancy issues. I need to add a couple of pounds when I shoot so I can move in strealth mode a little better. I never realized how I must be spooking fish before I started trying to shoot them. WOW. We do churn out a bit of noise down there, don't we.

* We all Shoot The Same Stuff. I was looking through my shots - they could be anyone's shots. In So Cal we all shoot the same things. Bluebanded Goby, the ubiquitous Garibaidi, gaping Morays, rays through the Kelp, short Lobsters poking out of holes, splayed Starfish, swaying Gregorian Fans, blah blah blah... I was so depressed when I was going through my stuff. It looks like everyone elses. I think its because a) this is what's out there, and b) its easy to shoot. If I'm gonna shoot the same stuff, I need to differentiate it with composition. I like my Goby pic, framed with the Sea Urchin on a mosaic of color. I like my Reg Gregorian Fan with the Sea Cucumber in the foreground (the pic is so dense and the colors so high contrast, and the saturation so complete, I had to make it small to get it under our size limit... its technically my best shot to date.) I like my clinging Starfish. These are tired subjects, but I'm trying to shoot them differently.

* Fish Butt. For every fish, I get 3 - 6 Fish Butt shots. I know, I know.... its part of shutter lag. Its part of approach technique, etc. I could fill a gallery with Fish Butts and I've only been shooting 2 days. After about my 20th fish butt, I was so hacked off I went another direction. I wanted to get a shot of a huge school that was wizzing by. I took two or three shots, but they all looked like I was outside of the school. I wanted to be IN the school - so I took a breath, swam really fast towards the school, reached out one hand (like a reporter in a throng of people at a sporting event) and plunged into the school and sort of took a "Hail Mary" shot. I like it... I get the feeling of being IN the school. My point is sometimes, crazy things work. My other shots were lit better, and more in focus, but they didn't deliver the moment like this one.

* UW Portraits. This is an area I'm going to like. Topside, my focus (pun intended) is on location portraiture. Its So Cal, so I can shoot outside all year. I go places, and shoot people. Underwater, I think I'm going to enjoy this, too. I got a great shot of Arnaud this weekend. Not diver pics, but UW portraits... I'm going to work on this. I may fashion some UW reflectors (like the Photoflex I use topside.)

* I'm learning about the creatures I dive among. This is an added bonus I hadn't planned on. I'm learning the habitat, the names and the interaction of all of the critters that for years, I swam among, but never really studied. There is a shot below of some funky spiraly white thing. Its was beautiful. I don't know what it is, I've never noticed one before, but I saw it, and shot it. And soon, someone will tell me what it was. I like this very much, indeed. I can tell the difference between a male Rock wrasse and a female Rock Wrasse. A week ago, I had no clue. THIS is fun.

* I need a second strobe. I hate the shadows. What I really hate is the limitations of only having the strobe available on one side. If I needed to light a subject from the right, I was out of luck. I'm going to try handholding the strobe next trip for some of the more challenging lighting (currently, lighting from the RIGHT is challenging!) We'll see. I forsee a second D180 in my future before summer, though.

Here are some shots... I have so much to learn still.

Thanks to all.

Ken

6992Blue_Banded_Goby_SB_.jpg

6992Arnaud_Portrait.jpg

6992Spiral_Whiie_Thingie_-_SB.jpg

6992P1310024_SB2.jpg

6992P1310017_SB.jpg

I like the school shot. You're right, I feel part of it.

Nice shots Mo2. And this was your first time getting the rig wet. The learning part is the fun part. I am getting so jealous, because I cannot get in the water yet. No CWD for me :frown2:

Thanks for sharing,

Dive Smart;Dive Safe
:cool1:

Nice shots!
The school shot turned out well! Its that sort of creativity that will differentiate your shots from others.
You may want to try using some sort of imaging software of your choice to touch up the school pic, you may be able to lighten it up if that's what you want... learning the software is another hurdle though.

i liked your essay and your pics very much. very nice.

gives me some ideas =P

Geez, how'd you get your post so big? Must be a moderator thing. Anyway, your shots look very cool. I just got involved with UW photography too. I was saving up for a housed Oly, however a Nikonos V w/wide-angle happened upon me and I interpreted it as a divine directive. I'll start saving again for the digital rig as soon as I complete the payment for the Nikonos and the digital converter for my slides. What I really want is a three chip digital camcorder, but they're kinda out of my price range.

Scubakevdm:
Geez, how'd you get your post so big? Must be a moderator thing.....

Sorry to burst your bubble but the mods get no special priveledges when posting. Anyone can make long posts, there's no limit. If photos are hosted, there's no limit on them either. There is a 5 attachment limit per post.

You, too, can make long posts if you have enough to say, being a Mod has nothing to do with it.

Dee:
You, too, can make long posts if you have enough to say, being a Mod has nothing to do with it.

Or you can simply ramble on in a semi-coherent manner, airing your thoughts and foibles for the public scrutiny as you stumble down the trail of life. That usually works for me.

As for the large photos - the size limit is 300 kg... the one's that are closer to 300 k are larger. The smaller ones are smaller...

Too much rocket science for me to figure out. I don't crop them to 300k, I "resize them" by dumbing down the resolution. So I display big pics with poor resolution. Go figger.

K

Sorry to burst your bubble but the mods get no special priveledges when posting. Anyone can make long posts, there's no limit. If photos are hosted, there's no limit on them either. There is a 5 attachment limit per post.

Sorry, I didn't mean the length of the post... I meant the width of it. I had to scroll from side to side to read it. Certainly I didn't mean to be critical of the content which, by the way I enjoyed very much. Probably, it grew with the pics. Anyway, I just thought it was odd... you know like interesting odd. Again, sorry. I'm gonna go now, someplace safe. Where no one will be mean to me.

FWIW, another couple of compositional "rules" for you are:

1) "Shoot UP". Plan your compositions to put a water background behind your subject, instead of a dark and distractingly cluttered image of the bottom.

2) It also can be a good idea in better water conditions (tropical and/or shallow), to shoot towards the sun, as this will brighten up the background water color. But don't forget that there are always exceptions: shooting away, particularly with a faster shutter speed & higher f/stop can make your background go nearly black, which can also hide distracting background clutter.

3). For "landscapes", check out the subject of "CFWA" (Close Focus Wide Angle), particularly for vertical formats

The sum of these three is the triad of your classical professional-grade "dive magazine cover" composition...

-hh

Back
Top Bottom