Taking Open Water course for the 2nd time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he were still in business, I could absolutely point you to a PADI instructor who wouldn’t take you deeper than 10’. I got my first OW cert after doing a single dive to about 8’. No pool dives or anything. I learned very little in that class, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

It sounds like the problem is not necessarily the depth, but equalization. Most of the time it’s a technique problem but it could also be a medical issue. An ENT should be the first stop. If ENT clears you, then you need to work on technique. Read up on the various techniques for equalization and try them to find out what works best. Then practice. Equalize early and often. If it’s been a while, I equalize a bit in the day or two before a dive. It’s like stretching before exercising. It will make it easier to equalize.

You’ll have to equalize much more often in the first part of the descent than later due to the pressure differences being greater near the surface. So, if you are able to equalize to dive to 10 or 15’, then you should be able to do the same to get to 50’.

Perhaps where you are!
Many instructors, conditions willing, try to go to 40 ft on dives 1 and 2 and 60 ft on dive 3 and 4. That gives the student the best training and confidence, makes the CESA easier (and meets standards), and preps them for real diving later.
I may stand corrected. Here it's either 20+ feet for a shore dive, or basically and advanced dive if you do the 60-80' shore dives. Or, a very long swim out to 60' from the 20+ foot sites. Would be interested in hearing from others. Don't know why I assumed 20+ was the norm for checkout dives.

My OW dives were between 30-40 feet, for what that's worth. We have an abundance of dive sites suitable for OW training, including beach and boat dives, and many of those sites have deeper areas not far away. My 4th OW dive, to 34 feet, was at Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach. Incidentally, I also did my final dive for the deep course there, to 130 feet, and I know a lot of people use that site for tech training at even greater depths. So it's definitely not for want of sufficiently deep water that a lot of instructors around here stick to the shallows, but they do seem to aim for at least 2 ATA.

I would definitely try to get to the bottom of what is causing the problems with equalising.

Is it a physical ear issue? If so get an appointment with a suitably qualified ENT (preferably one with diving knowledge). They will diagnose if they think equalising is possible.

If it is not a physical problem, the issue might be trying to equalise too late or simply the technique not working for you. If you leave it until the point of feeling pressure/pain then it is too late. I make a point of equalising before I dive, then VERY often in the shallows on my way down before I feel the pressure build. As you descend you will find that you need to equalise less and less (the pressure differential is greatest near the surface).

If it is that the technique is not working, have a look at alternative equalization methods and if need be try to find yourself an instructor that is happy to teach them. A lot of people (instructors included) don't know or use alternative methods because they have never had need to learn them.

Equalizing past 10-15 feet becomes a non issue. The hardest part of equalizing is the first 15 feet. Beyond that point it is basically a swallow or even tilt of the head for some. You need to determine your issue and fix it or learn how to clear properly.

I thought on the open water dive they took you to 60 feet as padi. I guess my question is can I still do my cert if I can only dive about 10 feet?
No. you have to go to at least 20' for the CESA skill, and 15 for the safety stop skill. anyone ONLY taking you to 10' is violating standards.

I would ask your instructor why they wouldn't? if you can demonstrate all the skills required, the depth it's done at should have no relevance
because its clearly against written standards.

If he were still in business, I could absolutely point you to a PADI instructor who wouldn’t take you deeper than 10’. I got my first OW cert after doing a single dive to about 8’. No pool dives or anything. I learned very little in that class, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

It sounds like the problem is not necessarily the depth, but equalization. Most of the time it’s a technique problem but it could also be a medical issue. An ENT should be the first stop. If ENT clears you, then you need to work on technique. Read up on the various techniques for equalization and try them to find out what works best. Then practice. Equalize early and often. If it’s been a while, I equalize a bit in the day or two before a dive. It’s like stretching before exercising. It will make it easier to equalize.

You’ll have to equalize much more often in the first part of the descent than later due to the pressure differences being greater near the surface. So, if you are able to equalize to dive to 10 or 15’, then you should be able to do the same to get to 50’.
you can't get certified in 10' of water...

Well, yes, you can--just not within standards.

My niece got certified after a 2-hour pool session and an OW dive to 10 feet. This was NAUI, BTW, but it could have been any agency. They rely on the fact that the student doesn't know any better.

My PADI OW certification card says otherwise. Certainly that course didn’t meet PADI standards, but I still got the card. I learned very little during that class.

So, I took another OW course a few years later. That course was through a university, and was the polar opposite of the first one.

Back
Top Bottom