Taking care of dry zipper.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always waxing the out side of the dry zipper teeth and recently have read an article that was suggested to put some wax from the inner side (that is from the side of membrane). The questions now are:
- do you do this on your dry zipper and if yes then how to you do that. The teeth do not stick out and it's hard to put the wax, I'm afraid to touch the membrane

- do you clean the membrane somehow from time to time ? If yes then what do you use.

I don't put anything on the inner sealing surface or inner teeth. I just put wax or zipper lube on the outer teeth.

A soft toothbrush can be used occasionally if the inner sealing surfaces or inner teeth need cleaning, but I've never had to do that in 13 years of diving dry.... :D

I'm curious, where did that article appear?

Dave C

I don't put anything on the inner sealing surface or inner teeth. I just put wax or zipper lube on the outer teeth.

A soft toothbrush can be used occasionally if the inner sealing surfaces or inner teeth need cleaning, but I've never had to do that in 13 years of diving dry.... :D

I'm curious, where did that article appear?

Dave C

Dave thanks, It's hard to find it now :) I think on some internet site. But you just confirmed what I have already know about waxing. Thanks about the brush. I do too usually wax it with bee wax or dry zipper lubricant they sell in the stores - the one that does not attract dirt.

According to the zipper manufacturer YKK the zipper should be waxed on the inside with zip care fluid and on the outside with a regular wax.

According to the zipper manufacturer YKK the zipper should be waxed on the inside with zip care fluid and on the outside with a regular wax.

I made a smart thing today :) I found my suit manual and checked what they recommend. they said pretty much the same. wax - outside and zip care fluid inside. Also periodically when the wax is applied on outside close and open it few times so the teeth heat up and the wax gets inside the teeth.

I made a smart thing today :) I found my suit manual and checked what they recommend. they said pretty much the same. wax - outside and zip care fluid inside. Also periodically when the wax is applied on outside close and open it few times so the teeth heat up and the wax gets inside the teeth.

Thanks, it's good to hear the citations from you and Frogman82! Those citations have substantial weight in the discussion.

I'm still going to shy away from using Zip Care fluid on the inner teeth until I hear more recommendations or rationales to lube the inner teeth. Hopefully, others will provide citations or experience regarding lubing the inner teeth.

Not that they are the final word, here are some recommendations from my DUI drysuit manual that contradict the advice to lube the inner teeth. Although included with a 2001 suit, this manual was copyrighted 1991, possibly prior to the availability of Zip Care fluid or similar products.

Nevertheless, this DUI manual specifically warns:

Never lubricate the inside teeth as wax and dirt buildup can occur, attracting dirt particles that will prevent a proper seal and cause leaking.

Also, the DUI manual only refers to the inner zipper teeth to say:

Before each dive make sure the inside teeth and sealing surfaces are clean. Clean with a toothbrush, soap and water.

For another bit of info, the Zip Care bottle's instructions do not make it clear which teeth are to be lubricated. The label states:

Patented brush dispenser removes harmful dirt, sand and salt deposits. Zip Care rinses away after fresh or salt water entry, leaving a unique protective film which lubricates without collecting dirt, sand or other organic deposits.

My reading of it leads me to conclude they are referring only to outer teeth.

Regarding adding extra zippings to heat the teeth and melt the wax, I'm already concerned that every zipping and unzipping creates stress and wear of the zipper tape. To minimize that, I try to lubricate the zipper only during normal usage.

For example, just after the dive is when I'll run the wax on the closed zipper before opening it. (The closed zipper is more rigid and easier to wax and keeps chips of wax from getting onto the inside sealing surface, too.)

I'm so paranoid about zipper wear that I don't think I'll be doing repeated zipping to create heat to melt the wax. Melting the wax does seem like a good idea, though, and I might try warming the wax first.... Trying to get wax inside the teeth might be overkill, but who knows? I'm certainly no expert! :D

Good thread, thanks again! :)

Dave C

Well, a little websearch brings me to a page from The New Zipper Company (makers of BDM and YKK). It confirms what you've said about using Zip Care Fluid on the inner teeth, including NATO recommendations! Pics even!

sealed zipper care

I'm convinced! Thanks again! :)

Dave C

I just picked up my first drysuit and am new to diving dry. How often should I apply the wax? And what about the talc? How often should I apply that to the seals?

I just picked up my first drysuit and am new to diving dry. How often should I apply the wax? And what about the talc? How often should I apply that to the seals?

I wax my drysuit zipper at least once during the day that I dive the suit. I try to avoid unnecessary extra zippings and unzippings, however, because I believe each time causes some wear, so I apply it during normal use of the zipper. If the zipper seems to be pulling hard, I'll also brush on some Zip Care fluid on the outside teeth in between waxings. That will definitely make the zipper slide more easily.

Thanks to this thread, I've begun to apply the Zip Care fluid to the inner teeth and inner surface of the zipper tape once each day of diving the suit. I can see why it's recommended, as it makes sense that it may increase longevity of the zipper tape material and inner teeth. I'm very careful to make sure there is no grit that might get swept into the inner teeth, though. I can't see any difference in the ease of zipping, but I'm convinced it can't hurt after hearing the recommendations.

As far as using talc on the latex seals, I certainly rub it liberally on the inside of the seals and on my wrists and neck to ease donning of the seals and to reduce the transfer of skin oils to the latex. I also wash my latex seals every few dives by gently rubbing them with a soapy sponge, then rinsing, drying and dusting inside and out with talc. That process is especially important prior to storage, I believe.

Please note my potential for bias regarding talc use, and thanks for asking! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Nice write up guys. Because of this, I've also started using the zip care fluid on the inner teeth and surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom