Taking a dive in the Baltimore Aquarium...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flaya

Registered
Reaction score
I bought myself an early birthday present of diving in the Baltimore Aquarium. The site says the water temperature averages 75 degrees and a 3mm suit would be good.

My question is, will the 7mm suit I have, be too much for this dive? I got certified in february up in Pennsylvania, the water temp was 35 degrees. I haven't had time to dive since, so I'm not sure what's going to work in this situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

I dove Ginnie Springs in a two-piece 7mm wetsuit - the year round water temperature is 72F. We were going to be in the water all day, so a 7mm suit was recommended. It did get too warm at times, but I just flushed some water through the suit.

A 3mm suit might be ideal, but do you want to buy one for just this single excursion?

Leave your hood at home. :)

I'd rather be warm then cold. If I found one on ebay or something, cheap enough, I'd consider it. I just don't want to get over heated and wasn't sure if the 7mm would be too much.

A lot of divers would want a 5mm suit in 75〫water, depending on the length of the dive, but I would opt for 3mm for anything under an hour.

I bought myself an early birthday present of diving in the Baltimore Aquarium. The site says the water temperature averages 75 degrees and a 3mm suit would be good.

My question is, will the 7mm suit I have, be too much for this dive? I got certified in february up in Pennsylvania, the water temp was 35 degrees. I haven't had time to dive since, so I'm not sure what's going to work in this situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Joel - The Dive NY group did this dive in March 2009, some wore 3mm others wore 7mm. I did the dives in 7mm and was fine for both dives.

Best part of the dive was playing with the children on the other side of the glass. Also when we first arrived on the exhibit floor and walked out of the elevators in our wetsuits holding our masks and fins, someone yelled, "Look, fish people" while the kids looked mesmerized by our group. :rofl3:

I remember being cold at the end of the dives when I came out of the warm water and could feel the aquarium's cold air from its air conditioner hit me. I along with the others were shivering as we made our way back to the elevator and returned to the locker rooms for a warm shower...it was :cold:.
Enjoy!

I wouldn't want to wear 7mm in 75deg on a regular basis. But for one dive I'd just wear what you have and let water in if you're too warm. And at least you won't be putting it on in the hot sun. Definitely skip hood/gloves.

Joel - The Dive NY group did this dive in March 2009, some wore 3mm others wore 7mm. I did the dives in 7mm and was fine for both dives.

Best part of the dive was playing with the children on the other side of the glass. Also when we first arrived on the exhibit floor and walked out of the elevators in our wetsuits holding our masks and fins, someone yelled, "Look, fish people" while the kids looked mesmerized by our group.

I remember being cold at the end of the dives when I came out of the warm water and could feel the aquarium's cold air from its air conditioner hit me. I along with the others were shivering as we made our way back to the elevator and returned to the locker rooms for a warm shower...it was .
Enjoy!

I'M SO EXCITED!!! I now cameras aren't allowed, do they take a pictures of the divers we get to keep?

I'M SO EXCITED!!! I now cameras aren't allowed, do they take a pictures of the divers we get to keep?

Yes, your excitement is apparent.

I'm not aware of whether a staffer will take your pic, but it does not hurt to ask when you are there. If you have family or friends who are non-divers, they can take pics of you throughout your dive. Several in our groups had their non-diving significant other take pics/videos of us.

Back
Top Bottom