Take home license renewal test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your license is current and so is your time, there is no test. The test is only for those who have lapsed or "renewed for continuity" who want to go active again. All USCG tests come from the same bank, which is available for purchase.

Don't you have to have x number of sea days to renew without the test?

I heard it was 360 within the last 5 years. If you don't have that, you have to do either the take home test or a test at either an approved school or the REC.

You are correct. You have to have x number of days within 5 years. I don't know what x is. It's still out of the same test bank.

it's 360 (Documenting Sea Time). And if you own your own boat, you have it.
I dont keep a log (yeah yeah I know), so every 5 years I sit down with a spreadsheet and compile my time. I do keep a fishing log and a dive log so I use this to help. Also, I watch the weather. It probably isn't smart to claim you were out at sea during a nor'easter.
Having said that, the form doesn't require that much detail. Just the number of days each month. I've been doing this for the last 25 to 30 years (5 or 6 renewals). It's not an issue. When I first started, a "day" meant you stepped on the vessel. Even if it was tied up and you were just turning on a pump for 2 minutes. It's changed.

I've taken the open-book renewal test for years, since I never had the 360 days needed to avoid it.

Not very hard, one book is general captain stuff and seamanship (some of the questions rather dated, like asking about Manila rope, and surprisingly no TVMDC or plotting stuff the last couple of times, 20 questions total. The several questions about sailing (my license is aux.sail) were pretty kludgy, some about schooner rigs you seldom see these days, could stand updating Second book is Rules of the Road, 30 questions. Since it's open-book, and now with Google to help you, I think they're pretty easy. you need 90% on both. Actually helpful to get back into the book every 5 years.

Since your post is a few months old, I guess you know this by now. I just joined here so thought I'd answer anyway. Got my renewed passport-type license about a month ago, so if any questions about renew-by-mail, please ask. I found it wasn't as bad as the old days, and you have a tracking number where you can check status of your renewal on the NMC web site.

Renewals for licenseholders like us, who don't have a big employer or union who does renewal frequently, are really a "do it yourself" experience. The NVIC they have about Medical waivers is very helpful, since the Guard is concentrating much more on this since the Staten Island Ferry and Cosco Busan casualties.

After counting up all my days it turns out that I had enough. The difference was that I had not included the days between my initial application and when my licence was eventually issued. Those couple of summer months initially fell through the cracks.

What I didn't have was enough for the near coastal Masters. I should have enough by the end of this summer. But I don't know if I want to go through that rigamarole again.

If you own your own boat, you have enough time.

To renew your OUPV/Master Deck License you must be able to show 360 days (one year) of service during the past five years. The service must be verified by completing the USCG Sea Service form or by providing a letter from a vessel owner/company verifying your sea service. Many license holders find themselves nearing renewal but for various reasons cannot meet the Coast Guards one year service requirement.

The Coast Guard does allow the licensee to take and pass a comprehensive open-book exam in lieu of showing the qualifying service. The open-book exam is mailed out by the Coast Guard to the individual and then upon completion they mail it back to the Coast Guard for their review. The Coast Guard cost for taking this open book exam is $45.00. The problem many have with the open-book exam is that they do not possess or have access to the myriad of publications and reference materials necessary to pass the exam.

An alternative to meeting the one year service requirement is to take the Mariners Learning System™ online License Renewal Course. This program is Coast Guard approved and will be accepted in lieu of taking their open book exam or proving 360 days of sea service time since you license was issued.

Deck License Renewal requirements include:

• Show 360 days of sea service since your last license issuance, or pass a very difficult Coast Guard exam or take the Mariners Learning System™ Renewal/Refresher online course,
  • Complete the USCG License Renewal Application
  • Pass a physical exam and a drug test. (If you currently enrolled in a DOT approved random drug testing program you will not be required to take a new drug test for license renewal)
  • You DO NOT need First Aid & CPR cards to renew your license.
  • Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)

If you choose the online course option upon completion there is a proctored exam after which a Certificate of Completion will be issued. This certificate is mailed to the Coast Guard along with your application. The Coast Guard will accept this certificate in lieu off meeting the time requirement.

Captain Bob Figular
President, Mariners School

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom