Taka's new boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chantana

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the Taka's new boat? We're trying to decide between the Taka and the Spirit of Freedom.

chantana:
Has anyone been on the Taka's new boat? We're trying to decide between the Taka and the Spirit of Freedom.

Hi Chantana,

I think Taka has better value for the money since it includes the Coral Sea and is also $200 AUD cheaper. I've read someone's review of the new Taka boat earlier and they said it was really nice and comfortable.
However, having gone with SOF last year and having a great experience, I would recommend them as well.

I will be going with either Nimrod or Taka in August. The stand-by rate for the Taka trip is $550 AUD.

I have been on Taka, and basically I think you get what you pay for - is adequate, but not outstanding in any ways. The bathroom facilities in particular for the dorm rooms were pretty limited - up on the dive deck - and the crew were OK, but again not particularly impressive. If the boat is full to capacity, there are a lot of people in the water, and some of the dive sites felt very crowded. We had a room with an en suite, which improved comfort substantially, but i was not particularly impressed, and despite the cheapness I doubt I would book with them again.

The new boat - went this Easter. Don't get me wrong, it was OK - the diving was mostly great, although as you come back towards Cairns the last few dives felt very much like filler dives, done just so they could say they offered x dives on the trip, but as I said, the accommodation particularly was pretty basic. With well over 30 people on board, no matter how big the lounge was it still felt pretty crowded at times, although at non-peak times this should not be such a problem. It was certainly the cheapest available when we booked it, however, and most of these trips seem to go to the same dive sites.

Thanks for the information on Taka Roz, can anyone give us a similar account of their experience on Spirit of Freedom, I too am debating between them...thanks

Spirit of Freedom is the best boat in Cairns to go on. The Taka boat is what the backpacker and the like go on and get great deals, the Spirit of Freedom is just in a complete diferent class and for me IMHO there just wouldn't be a choice, it is just incredible the food, the boat, the crew, the sites, it really is an A1 class trip the Taka boat is new the crew just as excellent but it is more budget class than the luxury styled Spirit of Freedom. Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom