Tahsis 6 gills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi - am on Vancouver island for much of October/November and planning of diving around Victoria, Nanaimo, Campbell River and Port Hardy - many places I've been before as well as some new places.

Anyway, last time I was on the island I heard about people seeing 6 gill sharks under the dock at Tahsis.

Does anyone know about this/ dived there? Sounded like an really interesting dive.

Have tried to dive with 6 gills before in Barkely Sound and Hornby Island with no luck - but live in hope that someday I'll see a six gill.

Would really appreciate it if anyone who knows about the 6 gills at Tahsis could tell me if they are likely to be there during October/November and the depth under the dock or anything else of interest.

Thanks - Jon

blatter:
Hi - am on Vancouver island for much of October/November and planning of diving around Victoria, Nanaimo, Campbell River and Port Hardy - many places I've been before as well as some new places.

Anyway, last time I was on the island I heard about people seeing 6 gill sharks under the dock at Tahsis.

Does anyone know about this/ dived there? Sounded like an really interesting dive.

Have tried to dive with 6 gills before in Barkely Sound and Hornby Island with no luck - but live in hope that someday I'll see a six gill.

Would really appreciate it if anyone who knows about the 6 gills at Tahsis could tell me if they are likely to be there during October/November and the depth under the dock or anything else of interest.

Thanks - Jon

I have been seriously considering a trip there myself. Let me know when you are in Nanaimo and we'll maybe put something together. I'll have to make some calls now.

Hi - Am planning to be in Nanaimo from 6 to 9 November and Campbell River from 30 October to 1 November and the time in between still thinking about the best place to go.

Would definitely be interested if you want to try and do a dive at Tahsis - even if it is just jumping in to check out what is under the dock.

I was planning on doing this solo as GF/dive buddy who I am travelling with is not so enthusiastic about jumping in with big marine life - or shore dives - but it would be good to get some local knowledge to increase chance of seeing a 6 gill.

blatter:
Hi - Am planning to be in Nanaimo from 6 to 9 November and Campbell River from 30 October to 1 November and the time in between still thinking about the best place to go.

Would definitely be interested if you want to try and do a dive at Tahsis - even if it is just jumping in to check out what is under the dock.

I was planning on doing this solo as GF/dive buddy who I am travelling with is not so enthusiastic about jumping in with big marine life - or shore dives - but it would be good to get some local knowledge to increase chance of seeing a 6 gill.
Have you been to VI before? You do know that Tahsis is in the middle of nowhere?
Anyone here been diving there? Is there any charter operators out that way?

blatter:

Thanks - Jon
I was in Tahsis about 3 weeks ago. Just exploring, not diving. Did my diving on Quadra Island. Anyway, There is one dive shop there , Tahtsa Dive Charters, and we bumped into Jude and Scott Schooner, the owners and chatted for a while.
You should hook up with them if you want to see the 6 gill. Unfortunately, they weren't showing up as regularly as they had in the past. Best to give them a call to see if they are showing up now.
If you are driving there, it is a 30-40 mph road for a little over an hour from Gold River.
And that is about an hour from Campbell River.
Fantastic road though. Check out the caves on the way up.

Contact info for Tahtsa:
Tahtsa Dive Charters
One Wharf Street - Unit 2
Box 64
Tahsis, B.C.
VOP 1XO
Phone: 1-866-934-6365
Email: dive@tahtsadivecharters.com

Thanks for replies - was thinking of contacting the dive charter people anyway to maybe organise some dives at Tahsis at the same time - but was hoping to get some information about the dock dive first as that seems a good opportunity to fulfil an ambition to see some 6 gills.

Have been diving to VI 3 times before - and even driven over to Gold River once from Campbell River.

Think the diving is fantastic in most of the places I've been around the island - Browning Wall, 7 Tree Island and Race Rocks especially - really like the cool water marine life there - similar but different to my home here in Tasmania - in a lot of ways I prefer this sort of diving to tropical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom