Table Rock Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was at Table Rock Lake all last week and had a blast. I thought the conditions were great considering all the rain and boat traffic. Temp at the surface was about 83* and about 50* in the 60 - 70 ft. range. We dove the cabin cruiser at Jake Pt. the vis was not to good there, we did not stay at the cruiser long because we went with no hoods and gloves and it got pretty cold, so we went into the shallows and played with the fish. The lake is at or above full pull so things where a little deeper than normal. The best diving we had was at Breezy Point. Below 30ft the Vis was AWESOME! We dove there a few times. I lost a dive knife there so if anyone runs across an Akona Dive knife, well you know who left it there anyway. We also hit Duck Island a few times to play with the fish there, and then just a few random spots on the lake to try out. I actually got my anchor stuck while fishing in one spot, we had to untie the anchor line and leave it there and head to the house to get the gear and go back and get the anchor. My wife just looked at me and said "I think you did that on purpose so you could get another dive in." We did one night dive and saw some crawdad's that looked like little lobsters. Damn there are some big ones in that lake. All in all it was a good week. Anyone that is down there this week should be in for some good weather.

Oh by the way if you have HP tanks make sure you check them if you get them filled at the State Park Marina. Twice they only gave me 3k. At $7.50 a pop I would wanted to make sure I left with full tanks.

Phil

Is there a good (detailed) map of the lake on the net or do I need to buy a map? I have a great one of Beaver, and I hope the same exists for Tablerock as well. Where are some of the shore accessible places to dive?

Thanks for your help

I do not know of any detailed maps online, if you want one you would probably have to buy one. The only places that I know of to shore dive is at Dewey Short (by the dam) and Indian Point. I actually saw someone at Jake Point Island which is just off of Indian Point that had surface swam all the way out to the Island and then was swimming around the island looking for the sunken cruiser. Once I found out what they were doing I directed them to the cruiser. They must have wanted to dive that pretty bad, because that is a pretty far swim...

I am sure that someone with more shore diving spots will speak up...

Phil

The sirens of TableRock hid the cabin cruiser from me. I went diving there in June. Tons of rain, and bad vis. But I was still diving. Anyway, first dive to Jakes Island, my buddy had gear problems that couldn't be fixed on the boat. So went for a short solo dive (didn't want to leave him bored up top for ever). I swam down, just looking around and found the line. Followed it down to the bow of the cruiser. I thought, "cool, now I know where it is." I swam directly back up-slope, and made note of the depth of the tie-off (30 feet IIRC). Kept my ascent directly up the slope until about 20ft then surfaced and looked around. I said, "OK, I know right where this is now." The next day we went back. It was gone. I started my search on the northen part of the island. Dropped to about 35-37ish and swam south. I should have run smack-dab into the marker line, or seen the boat off to my right. Never found jack. I dropped to about 40 feet and doubled back. Still never found anything. Damn sirens always playing tricks on me.

FD

The cabin cruiser at Jake's Point Island is exactly under the published coordinates. Every time I have dived it I hit it with my anchor. That is a fair swim for a shore dive across an area heavy with boat traffic and those horrid jet skis. N

Nemrod:
The cabin cruiser at Jake's Point Island is exactly under the published coordinates. Every time I have dived it I hit it with my anchor.

I agree that the cruiser is directly under the coordinates. This was my first time there and we went just past the coordinates and dropped anchor then just took a heading from the GPS. The vis was so bad that I never saw the guide line until the line from my float was stuck on something.

Nemrod:
That is a fair swim for a shore dive across an area heavy with boat traffic and those horrid jet skis. N

YEs it is!!! I could not believe that they had swam over there. When we had gotten back on the boat I saw them on Shore with no boat and asked my buddies wife (who stayed on the boat) if they got dropped off. She said "I never saw a boat, I just heard them talking and looked up and there they were..." After we got all the gear off and were heading off I saw their flag on the South East side of the Island and I could tell that they were close to the surface so I waited for them to come up to see if I could give them a lift back to shore. When they did surface they said that they were just swimming on the surface trying to catch a glimpse of the Cruiser so they knew where it was. I told them that they were on the wrong side and gave them a heading to take to get to it and then put my boat right on top of it to give them a visual reference. Then they said that they would be OK to swim back. I thouhgt that was pretty crazy. They must have wanted to see that very badly...

Have a good one...

Phil

You can buy a nice map of the lake at Table Rock Marina, but it doesn't have any dive sites on it (unless they have added them). They have a small dive shop at the marina and they can help you locate on the map some dive sites.

I have good GPS coords for many sites that we checked out about a month ago. If you want this file, PM me and I'll send it to you.

S. Nagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom