Table Rock Lake - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For that weekend I'd make sure to call well ahead of time and make those boat reservations with Louis. They often get booked up on the popular hollidays, if they do there's plenty of good shore diving as well.

Don't worry a lot about where to stay, lots of places around there. If you're booking a room at Rock Lane I suspect you like the nicer places, if not and it's just because it's close check into Table Rock Inn for one. It's very close to Dewey Short and sort of cater to divers. They have a pool out back as well. Of course it's not the equal by far to Rock Lane.

Not that I'm biased, but Scuba Sports is more of a diver-friendly store, so you've got an excellent choice there. Louis has Rock Lane Resort on his site, so you might be getting a better price that way, mention finding them through Scuba Sports when you call to investigate pricing.

Be sure to call ahead if you need gear, so Louis knows what you need. Also, make sure you find out how to get to his other facility on the lake so you don't have as long a drive for air fills.

Makes me wish I still had my business open. I used to have access to discounts on lodging for extreme sports folks. Lost the business when I got deployed.

Yup, SS has 2 places, one at the Marina where Rocklane Resort is and the other. You can get mostly airfills at the Marina, if you want Nitrox I believe you have to visit his store front. If you know where Silver Dollar City is, just keep headed down that road and once past SDC start looking to your left and soon you'll see the signs for the Marina, head that way and you'll find it at the waters edge on the dock.

If you do the one on 248 just head that way from 65 and look to your right after the curves and you'll see it, there's a hot tub out front, it's also a tanning spot for those that prefer artificial means.

Personally, Scuba Sports gets my business when he's open and State Park Marina when he's not. That's not common. He's almost always open and friendly, has a good assortment of gear as well. Good prices on rental stuff from what I've seen.

Just got done with two days of two tank boat dives with Scuba Sports. Took my fourteen year old son on Saturday and my twelve year old son on Sunday. Had a GREAT TIME! Since my sons are Junior Open Water divers, we didn't go too deep. I really appreciated that the dive sites we went to allowed for our shallower dives and the others deeper dives. We met on the pier on Rock Lane Resort at 0845 each day. Returned to the dock at 1:00pm. Boat has some shade and we had plenty of room. Dove with our own gear (including my tanks) and didn't have any problems. Thermocline was at about 23 feet - temp above was 84 degrees and temp below (at least to 30 feet or so) was about 78. Having dived Table Rock before, I know the temp drops off considerably below 30 feet. The visibility depended on the site, but the minimum was probably 15 feet. The best was over 20. We heard it was even better below the thermocline.

On Saturday, there was a couple, a single diver, my fourteen year old and I, the boat captain and divemaster. The other couple was staying at Rock Lane and said the accomodations were fine and I think they said they got $20 the room per night because they were diving with Scuba Sports. We first went to the small island just off the marina. My son and I stayed at about 25-30 feet while the others visited a sunken boat in about 45 feet of water. Saw tons of fish and freshwater clams. For the second dive, we visited "The Forest" and saw tons of underwater trees (in addition to the fish and clams) Both dives were an hour long.

Today, the other couple returned and along with my 12 year old and I, dove with the boat captain and divemaster. Our first dive was at Breezy Point. That is the small cliff area where boats frequently visit and folks climb up and jump off the cliffs into the water. There were no boats there when we arrived and about five there when we left. Again saw lots of fish and clams. Our final dive was at an island that apparently isn't dived much. As soon as we submerged, we saw a golf ball and some old sunglasses. Throughout the dive we found numerous fishing lures, two golf balls, a boat ladder, and several old bottles and cans (found an old Pepsi can with pull tab and both top and bottom crimped ends). The boat captain found an anchor. This was probably the best dive of all as we saw tons of fish (including about a three foot catfish in a tree) and tons of other things in the water.

All in all, we had a GREAT two days of diving and would recommend Scuba Sports to anyone. Easy to deal with, very accomodating, and had some terrific dives. Based on our experience, I don't think you can go wrong with Scuba Sports.

After diving, we rented a boat out of Table Rock Marina for the afternoon. That was a pretty smooth evolution as well.

Don't hesitate to pm me if you have any questions.

Steve

Thanks for all the great info, Steve! I appreciate it. Now I'm really looking forward to our trip.

Back
Top Bottom