Table Rock Lake Conditions and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IAHammerhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good evening all who regularly dive Table Rock.
My family and I are coming down to the Kimberling City area June 19th through 26th. I am the only one diving, but need to know from you who are around Table Rock if it is even going to be worth packing gear. We have been in that area since I was a kid of 3, I only recall two poor experiences there due to weather and elevated water. About 4 or 5 years ago and now. Have watched some April videos on Table Rock Dam and flooding in Branson area. There is now doubt in my mind that you are still having flood conditions but has the lake began receding, what is temp, visibility, safety, is anyone diving because they want to or is diving a have to situation such as recovery?
I am leery of coming down if conditions are what they appeared on the videos, our complete water experience will be effected. The reason I am questioning is being from Southeast Iowa I am used to the Mississippi River and when it floods it runs hard and is extremely turbulent. I suspect that a lake is less dramatic in that way except for around the dam. But lakes may present other dangers that I haven't experienced. I guess I am looking for validation that my instincts says to stay dry and wait until next year.
So other than what should typically be on solid ground being under water is dive conditions worthwhile in any manner?
From pictures received from our resort we stay at we can't reach the boatdock/swim platform right now. Would love to hear some information.
Thanks in advance all.

last I heard they have about 10 ft of Vis (which is not great but not horrible), and it gets real dark down past 60ft. If you are going to be there anyway it is certainly worth a shot to dive it. I do not think that there is anything any more dangerous about the lake right not. If they still had flood gates open then there would be a pretty high flow and a bunch of junk floating and moving around, then I would just stay away from the dam dive sites...

Phil

The word I'm getting is that they are diving the lake. The local LDS (Scuba Sports) is even conducting classes at Dewey Short. I'm heading out in about an hour to do some diving at Dewey if I can. I'll post a report and some pics this evening or in the morning.

S. Nagel

Dove at Dewey Short near the dam on Saturday (5/17). Bring your gear down, I'm sure you will be able to find places to dive. Not sure about Kimberling City, but we were able to dive near the dam. Viz averaged about 10-15 above the TC. There is alot of silt on the floor and if you get near the bottom it kicks up severely. Water temp now is about 62. The water is still a little high, but going down.

S. Nagel

Actually, if you want to dive by the Dam, right now is a pretty good time. Vis is pretty good as long as you're careful, and you can park, gear up, and dive at about the same spot. Duck island area looks pretty good too. Just remember, the water is about 15 ft over normal pool. Back in the coves it's still pretty messed up, so I'd stay away from any of those spots. Lots of debris, floating trees, etc. back in the areas without any decent flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom