Table 4 is no fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello readers:

Yes, AGE would generally make a quicker appearance than bubbles through a PFO. This is because bubbles must grow in the capillaries and be released into the venous system. Without the bubbles, there is nothing to pass the PFO.

A lung rupture generally injects gas bubbles into the blood stream immediately. A small tear, however, would inject gas bubbles at a slower rate and the DCS might take a while to appear.

Dr Deco :doctor:

MonkSeal:
PFO does not ends up with bload in mouth and nose. AGE was diagnosed and neurological problems were developed. Although similar problems can occur with PFO bload is what makes obvious difference. AFAIK time scale for AGE is faster then for DCS caused with PFO. Dr Deco, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best wishes for her full recovery.

BTW If their ascents speeds were the same was it possible that she kept her breath? Or she can't remeber or she's not aware of it?

Monkseal,
The local US Navy Master Diver and UMO Dr. who examined her said the bloody nose was from a squeeze in her sinus. She did not have any blood in her mouth or anywhere else after the initial blood from her nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes in the boat. She cant remember holding her breath but she told me she felt alittle tightness in her lungs at about 80 ft.

Dr. Deco,
What is your experiance with the time difference AGE takes effect with or without a PFO condition? She started having neurological problems about 20 minutes after the dive and complete paralysis of her legs in 50 minutes. From what I am thinking the AGE knocked her down quick and the symptoms of DCS causing the paralysis of her legs took alittle longer. There has been some discussion weather the AGE caused both the neurological problems and the leg paralysis or the paralysis was caused by DCS. I guess its hard to diagnose because she made a full recovery.

Davesub:
The local US Navy Master Diver and UMO Dr. who examined her said the bloody nose was from a squeeze in her sinus. She did not have any blood in her mouth or anywhere else after the initial blood from her nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes in the boat. She cant remember holding her breath but she told me she felt alittle tightness in her lungs at about 80 ft.
Thanks for clearing this to me.

I would bet on venous-to-arterial passage of decompression gas bubbles through a PFO or pulmonary shunts.

It often requires time for venous bubbles to accumulate to the point that they pass into the arterial circulation. This is consistent with the time line.

Dr Deco:
I would bet on venous-to-arterial passage of decompression gas bubbles through a PFO or pulmonary shunts.
Does tightness in lungs she felt point to possible pulmonary shunts?

Back
Top Bottom