T-zip dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If" Santi are acknowledging a problem with zips on their suits that they recomended then they should be offering free replacements to all. I'd be rather pissed at having to pay for a replacement zip on my MTM custom suit after less that a 100 dives just because it's out of warranty. Would be nice if Santi chimed in but I expect they are avoiding officially talking about this "issue" like the plague.

And yes, I was specifically advised to go with the TiZip when I was ordering. Looking at the zip now it seems to be beginning to delaminate in places so I guess it'll start leaking sooner rather than later, cool.

Please share with us just what the problem is. OBTW, I have one on my DUI 350 and so far no problems.

I don't really know Tony. These zips seal with a very tiny ridge/slot. If I look at the zipper, I can't see any obvious defect. If I inflate the suit, and squirt some soap on it, it fizzes though. When I forst noticed this, I cleaned the teeth and that ridge very carefully with a toothbrush and soap and also diluted vinegar thinking if there were salt crystals in there, it would clear those up. This helped, but there is still a 5" length near my shoulder that leaks. I picked up some cleaning fluid/lube from my LDS and I may try that before I send the suit in... Good project for today.

Jim, good to hear about the YKK. I guess the trick is to see if that one lasts any better. In my informal survey of a local FB dive group, it seemed that those of us with T-zip problems seemed to get them around the 50 - 70 dive mark.

I will update this thread after I try the additional cleaning and lubing...

Just by way of an update, I got my suit back from the repair place in Quebec. They have put in a YKK plastic zip and they did a fantastic job. It looks like new. This zipper appears to be similar to the T-Zip, although heavier and maybe a bit less flexible... certainly not an issue though.

It may be a couple of weeks before I can get in the water, but hopefully it'll keep the lake outside where it belongs!

In spite of no response from SANTI here, I was very impressed with Halcyon's service with this, especially considering that I bought the suit prior to their involvement with SANTI. They have agreed that this new zipper is covered under the original two year warranty, so that gives me the season to test it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom