Sync problem???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking at all my pics I took today (Nikon D7100 with Aquatica housing and 2X Sea & Sea YS-D1) and I have the feeling that my strobes was not sync with my camera. Why I'm saying that... the pics I tooks have almost no colors and they were took in Puerto Vallarta. My strobes fired on every shots. The viz was 50 feets in a water green/blue. Any ideas what went wrong? Thanks for any advise.

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

A couple photos with camera and strobe settings would be helpful. Also how were the strobes positioned? What lens? What port or dome?

I agree with James. Also settings on Camera too would help.

OK, here're a few pics and infos :

About the config, here're a few info : Nikon D7100, lense is a Tokina 10-17 WA, Aquatica housing equiped with a mini dome 4'', 2X strobes Sea & Sea YS-D1 (using TTL). Because I was closed to the subject and I was suspecting a problem with sync, my strobes was close behind the dome port. After those shots, it confirmed to me that there is a problem. I took many shots before this day and it was not a problem.

The camera configs (Apperture priority) are :

1st picture : 1/60, F 7.1, ISO 200
PIX5251.jpg

2nd picutre : 1/250, F5.6, ISO 200
PIX5282.jpg
3nd picture : 1/250, F4.5, ISO 200
PIX5284.jpg

I always take a picture in front of a mirror. You will know if the strobes are firing in sync when you look at the image on the camera.

I do the same. It is a quick and reliable check.

Make sure you pop-up the camera flash. Without seeing it, I would do a complete camera reset, push the ISO and Exposure Compensation button at the same time, but be warned, this will reset the camera to default settings. I have a tendency to mess with parameters and forget what I did, so I have to do a camera reset to bring everything to default settings.

I shoot the D7000 in a Nauticam Housing with 2 Inon D2000 strobes.

Yeah, i agree, it looks almost like the strobes didn't fire at all!

I might have forgotten to pop the flash up once or twice, fortunately my housing has a button for that!

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ysd1/manual_Uveg.pdf

Here is the owners manual.

But it says about TTL: Set the mode switch to this position when shooting TTL flash output.
  • When a fiber-optic cable is connected, DS-TTLII mode is activated. (You can switch to Slave-TTL mode by pressing and holding down the target light switch for 3 seconds.)

TTL confirmation lamp
A green LED will be shown for 2 seconds to confirm DS-TTLII exposure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom