Sydney shark attack victim was dive instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean... it could be the same shark from the last attack 60 years ago?!?

Simple logic would probably conclude that the shark was not hunting humans, but instead, as with all shark attacks on humans, it was a case of mistaken identity. While a tragic mistake, there's no need to demonize the shark (or any sharks) over it.
Yeah..., because Great Whites only stay in one place... SMDH

Humans are not regular shark food. The shark may have seen the diver in a black wetsuit look like normal prey animal such as a seal. If so attacking from below vertically is quite normal. Are you suggesting the shark is a regular man eater? People who swim in the ocean put themselves at risk as the risks are so minute of being attacked. Everyone living in Australia knows this. Sydney ocean waters are cold and there are lots of sharks. I did some diving around Sydney and had some good dives there. Lot's of other dangerous critters to worry about when you dive but we still dive don't we?

Agreed. We are not "normal" food. But, the fact that this shark kept chomping after the initial attack suggests it knew and liked the taste.

Agreed. We are not "normal" food. But, the fact that this shark kept chomping after the initial attack suggests it knew and liked the taste.

Well it was just another animal in the water to the shark and the shark ate it. That's pretty normal for a shark. Many people happily watch shows on BBC or Nat Geo of sharks attacking penguins and seals and eating them without being upset. It's just doing what sharks do at feeding time, coming back for more. Normal predatory behaviour from a GWS.

Well it was just another animal in the water to the shark and the shark ate it. That's pretty normal for a shark. Many people happily watch shows on BBC or Nat Geo of sharks attacking penguins and seals and eating them without being upset. It's just doing what sharks do at feeding time, coming back for more. Normal predatory behaviour from a GWS.

So, you don't think sharks can learn new flavors? Edit: According from what I have read, it didn't come back for more. It ate from the start.

So, you don't think sharks can learn new flavors? Edit: According from what I have read, it didn't come back for more. It ate from the start.

Yes it was not waiting hours to come back. It attacked, and then came back to feed. Just a normal activity. Sharks do wait for pray to bleed out as seals can leave nasty bites so the shark may wait a few minutes to make sure the prey is dead so it can feast in safety.

Yes it was not waiting hours to come back. It attacked, and then came back to feed. Just a normal activity. Sharks do wait for pray to bleed out as seals can leave nasty bites so the shark may wait a few minutes to make sure the prey is dead so it can feast in safety.

I read the story a different way. I read it as it ate half of the person tight away. Now, if it's you're way, then the shark liked the taste and came back for more....

This trying to read the mind of shark is just, I don't know, pointless. Regardless of what they are 'thinking', if it's not what we'd like, are we just going to eradicate them? If you are going to play in areas with grizzly bears, sharks, tigers, and the like, it comes with risk.

This is such a ridiculous statement. Some sharks eat humans - in certain circumstances. It is not a mistaken identity. Why do you make such a claim? Is it to try to make people "like" sharks? I know several people who have been bitten by sharks, some have been accidental, but others were not.

If someone is swimming in a school of bait that sharks are feeding upon, a person could be bitten without that being the intended target, but again, this is NOT the case in all attacks; to think otherwise is delusional.

The mistaken bit comes from wearing black wet suits which mimics the dark color/silhouette of seals/sea lions on the surface. Sharks see contrast well.

Might be worth reading this link:

This trying to read the mind of shark is just, I don't know, pointless. Regardless of what they are 'thinking', if it's not what we'd like, are we just going to eradicate them? If you are going to play in areas with grizzly bears, sharks, tigers, and the like, it comes with risk.

Not Grizzley Bears but Black bears where I live. Far worse things in the forest like wasps nests sometimes wild bee hives, and of course Cobra's. My wife calls me Dances with Cobras for taking photo's on them on the trails I take walks on. Wild boars take awhile to hunt down though. I think my diving trips have far safer environments to be in.

COBRA ALISHAN.jpg

BLACK BEARS.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom