Switching gasses at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So help me understand: Why do experienced divers carry long hoses and why do tech agencies emphasize gas sharing practice? You suggested earlier it had to do with being comfortable with your buddy's skills. This makes sense if you are insta-buddying, but most people I know frown on insta-buddies and dive with people they know very, very well. They don't need to do an S Drill together to be confident in each other.

And in addition to carrying a long hose, many serious divers avoid placing deco bottles on their RHS to keep the long hose free. This seems like an awful lot of bother if donating gas is just an optional nice-to-have with no real necessity for a diver to rely on their team for gas.

And further, if it is just a temporary breathe off it while sorting out the issues, why make it a long hose? The long hose is presumably so that both divers can share gas all the way home or all the way to where they can switch to deco gasses or pick up bottles left in the cave.

Just a n00b asking questions here... But all this emphasis on the long hose and air sharing amongst some very experienced divers makes me think that there are people who place a certain amount of their trust in their buddies for more than just a nice-to-have comfort factor.

That may not be you, of course.

Forgive my computer inadequacies as I have no idea how to respond to each paragraph by breaking up a post. So Reg:

Paragraph 1:

- If you want to learn about technical/cave/advanced diving take a course.

- Advanced divers do not need to do an S drill before the dive but they do anyway.

Paragraph 2:

- There is a real necessity for the long hose. If someone is out of air I/you donate it. It's not that complicated but very essential.

Paragraph 3 &4:

- If I'm on the long hose its not temporary, there is little to sort out except the exit, and its not nice.

Paragraph 5:

Don't make assumptions about me.

Reg, you've going to have to switch bait cause he's not biting (oops he just did :eek:).

What about taking a plastic bag full of air down with you? The air would compress at depth and you could just tuck it away in your pocket. If you run out of gas you could just whip it out and pull the whole thing over your head.

Other than that, I have nothing constructive to add to this thread but how did it go from spare air to long hose S drills? Hopefully no one is thinking about putting one of those on a SA.

So are kittens but i wouldn't take one of those diving either :)

Not even a PETA Sea Kitten (clicky)?

Here, I made this one just for you!

string.jpg

Back
Top Bottom