Switching Doubles Regs for Single Tank use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Couple of questions:

1) OK, just got hold of two apex ATX200 for a doubles setup as I begin my tech training. Got a question for those of you who do both tech diving and single tank "recreational" diving (but don't own say 3-7 regulators sets already!). Say you're on a holiday and doing some recreational diving and the dive boat/ resort doesn't use DIN valves, do you guys just reconfigure your existing doubles reg and use a DIN to yoke adapter or do you guys keep a separate regulator set just for that. I've got a Mares V16/proton (yoke) set which I'd like to sell off, but I'm wondering if I should just keep it for the sakes of these occaisional rec dives. But then it would be shame to be using the mares V16 instead of the ATX200...

2) DIN to Yoke adapters. For those that use these, do you find that they put the 1st stage too close to your head on a single tank setup?

Thanks

pakman:
Couple of questions:

1) OK, just got hold of two apex ATX200 for a doubles setup as I begin my tech training. Got a question for those of you who do both tech diving and single tank "recreational" diving (but don't own say 3-7 regulators sets already!). Say you're on a holiday and doing some recreational diving and the dive boat/ resort doesn't use DIN valves, do you guys just reconfigure your existing doubles reg and use a DIN to yoke adapter or do you guys keep a separate regulator set just for that. I've got a Mares V16/proton (yoke) set which I'd like to sell off, but I'm wondering if I should just keep it for the sakes of these occaisional rec dives. But then it would be shame to be using the mares V16 instead of the ATX200...

2) DIN to Yoke adapters. For those that use these, do you find that they put the 1st stage too close to your head on a single tank setup?

Thanks
keep the reg you will always find a use for it. when i dive with a single tank i use an hvalve. The din to yoke doesnt bother me.

i wouldnt mind reconfiguring. my reg is din and i always have a din to yoke adaptor, either or im going diving:)

Keep the yoke reg for rec diving. You say that you are starting your technical training..... you will need more regulators. Then you will be kicking yourself for selling the Mares.

hex92, I thought about that(needing additional regs as I get into deco, etc.,) but my thoughts were that I would be better off getting a better reg for deco use in the future than the V16. Plus its a PITA trying to find someone who sells a Mares DIN adapter for the V16 out here.

mstudley, I'm in Hong Kong right now. Not sure what leisure pro would charge for int'l shipping but I guess I'd be looking at $70 total to get a DIN setting on a $200 mid-level regulator, when I could sell off the reg, maybe get $100 for it, and use that money to get a better reg (most likely Apeks to keep them all one brand for servicing ease) in the future... But when I get to the level where I am doing long deco stops, I'd guess I'd want as good as reg as my backgas.

On a side note, ah the good ol' Ocean State... I grew up in Portsmouth :wink:...

pakman:
mstudley, I'm in Hong Kong right now. Not sure what leisure pro would charge for int'l shipping but I guess I'd be looking at $70 total to get a DIN setting on a $200 mid-level regulator, when I could sell off the reg, maybe get $100 for it, and use that money to get a better reg (most likely Apeks to keep them all one brand for servicing ease) in the future... But when I get to the level where I am doing long deco stops, I'd guess I'd want as good as reg as my backgas.

On a side note, ah the good ol' Ocean State... I grew up in Portsmouth :wink:...

Oh, I agree that the price may not be worth it but they are fairly easy to find is all. OMS makes decent deco regs for less than the Apeks would cost you (I use Apeks regs for my back gas also).

Wow, from Portsmouth to Hong Kong. That's quite the switch :)

actually just a few stops in between Portsmouth and Hong Kong... It's more like RI, NYC, Tokyo, NYC, Tokyo, Seoul, Seattle, and now Hong Kong... :) Unfortunately the rest of the family has moved on to Seattle so I don't have that many chances to get back to RI. I do miss those summers in the Newport area though.

I don't know anything about the Mares V16, but if it is a descent reg then I would definitely keep it and use it for those times that you need a yolk reg.

I have a couple of Seaquest XR2 yolk regs that I use just for this purpose. I have used adapters with my DS4 regs but I don't like 'em. I also don't like having to break down regs switching the configuration from doubles to singles and back again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom