Swimming with Dolphins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raina79

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of this program at the Sea Life Park?? Can anyone enlighten me on the dolphins there - were they captured or born there??

I am generally against these kind of things. A bunch of tourists plunging into a tank to swim with dolphins. I think it is MAYBE ok if the dolphin could not survive in it's natural habitat for whatever reason.

My sister has booked a dolphin swim at the above place while we are on Hawaii. I want to be educated on the subject before I bring up the topic / start the debate!! :no

A Japanese company bought SeaLife Park about three years ago, I THINK. Anyway, shortly after that a lot of animals died and a lot of employees quit, I heard.

Now a couple of those people have gone back, I heard it was getting better.

I hear that some of the people that work there have some type of staph that is resistant to antibiotics, that would keep me out, until I hear something different.

I believe that the dolphin encounter at the Kahala (used to be the Mandarin) in Kahala is well run as far as these things go. I am there pretty often and the animals seem happy, they are in a bay swimming around fairly freely for captivity. I'm a bit against it also, but my children did it when they were little, I think it instills love and respect for the dolphins to have that experience, yet I cannot really justify it. There are more than me voting within the tribe, its not all up to me.

Did you see anything on the specifics on their website?

the sea life program has 2 bottle nose and one wolphin in the tank, they was born in captivity and are trained like dogs if that's what you want to see, my kids loved it but i personally thought it was kinda sad to see those beautiful creatures "shaking hands, rolling over etc" but that's just me, i'd rather see them in the wild which i do almost daily 8)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom