Swim on Back w/o Water in Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a question. (actually, it's a few questions)

I currently have a DACOR Viper USA 2nd stage. When I swim on my back (to shoot videos) I frequenty get water in my mouth. Is this a probelm with the 2nd stage I have in general? Would a better 2nd stage prevent this probelm? If so, which one would you recommend to me?

Thanks... I appreciate the honest input.

howarde:
I have a question. (actually, it's a few questions)

I currently have a DACOR Viper USA 2nd stage. When I swim on my back (to shoot videos) I frequenty get water in my mouth. Is this a probelm with the 2nd stage I have in general? Would a better 2nd stage prevent this probelm? If so, which one would you recommend to me?

Thanks... I appreciate the honest input.

It isn't a problem with the reg. They aren't designed to be breathed from in that position. A side exhaust reg (like ones made by Poseidon) can be breathed from any position without the water coming in.

Mine just seems to breath harder upside down and water doesnt usually seem to get in.

mstudley:
It isn't a problem with the reg. They aren't designed to be breathed from in that position. A side exhaust reg (like ones made by Poseidon) can be breathed from any position without the water coming in.

The viper is a side exhaust 2nd stage.

viperamerica.jpg

I have an Atomics B1 primary, and Dacor Vyper octo. The Vyper breathes a bit wetter than the Atomics. I don't know if it is really that the Atomics exhaust port is better, or that there are some pockets in the Atomics where small amounts of water can pool until they get blown out with next exhale.

The wettest point on the Vyper is when the exhaust port is the highest point. This is looking to the left when swimming horizontally, such that your left ear is pointed towards the surface. It might just be that it is more noticeable to you when you are on your back, because any leakage drops straight into your throat.

Clean your reg thoroughly to make sure you don't have salt crystals or sand under the exhaust flapper.

Good luck.

Charlie99:
I have an Atomics B1 primary, and Dacor Vyper octo. The Vyper breathes a bit wetter than the Atomics. I don't know if it is really that the Atomics exhaust port is better, or that there are some pockets in the Atomics where small amounts of water can pool until they get blown out with next exhale.

The wettest point on the Vyper is when the exhaust port is the highest point. This is looking to the left when swimming horizontally, such that your left ear is pointed towards the surface. It might just be that it is more noticeable to you when you are on your back, because any leakage drops straight into your throat.

Clean your reg thoroughly to make sure you don't have salt crystals or sand under the exhaust flapper.

Good luck.

So are you saying that if I swim with my left side towards the surface, that I would get more water? Because I thought that may have been true as well, but I wasn't sure. I tried pressing the purge button to no avail.

Thanks for that input...

I guess my main question was which 2nd stage would not have moisture problems in any swim position.

Thanks to you who have responded so far!

howarde:
So are you saying that if I swim with my left side towards the surface, that I would get more water? Because I thought that may have been true as well, but I wasn't sure. I tried pressing the purge button to no avail.
While a wet breathing regulator could be because of things like a torn or improperly seated diaphram letting in water, the most common problem is just a bit of seepage through that low tech silicone rubber flapper / mushroom valve at the exhaust port. My Atomics B1 is pretty dry in all conditions, but it wouldn't take much gunk, grit, or salt crystals under the mushroom to make it leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom