Swim / Dive Platforms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that I can't be the only person that uses a smaller outboard boat for diving. I have a 15 1/2 foot Bayliner bowrider with a 50 hp outboard. The problem is that it has one of those goofy plastic swim platforms with only one railing due to the engine. This is a weak way to board to say the least.

What I am looking for is to see if anyone out here has a better setup. Does anybody know of a place that makes full platforms for an outboard? Has anybody made their own? As far as I can see, all that would have to be done is to have enough space for the motor to clear in order to turn. If you had a hinged middle piece so that you could still tilt the motor, why couldn't it be as large as you wanted? (I realize enough support comes into play if you made it too large) I want to be able to have a strong full sized ladder that you can climb up and be able to remove gear out of the water.

Someone must know the solution. Maybe there is someone that just loves to design things? Now I'm getting picky, but aluminum is my first choice of materials.

Later, Hawk.

I have dove from boats similiar to the type you have. The solution that we used was that we did not try to enter the boat with our gear on. What you could do is drop several lines over the side before you dive, then when you return to the boat, remove your gear secure it to the line then just swim around to the rear of the boat.

The line should have some type of snap hook so it is easy to secure the gear.

Hope this helps

dmmike, thanks for the reply. This is what I figured most people do, but I am still wanting to get around this somehow. If I can find a larger platform it sure would be nice though. Maybe I'll just have to sit down and do some measuring and thinking. I try not to do that too often as my poor brain gets the cramps!

Later, Hawk.

Another catch 22.

You have the problem that your boat is not really big enough for a *proper* dive platform and yet is a bit small for the other great solution which is to tie an inflatable alongside. The inflatable can also be used as a chase boat.
Actually, you could still use an inflatable as long as you are willing to tow it most of the time.

There is another possible solution that may also help the handling and performance of your boat. Look into mounting the engine on a transom extension (the proper name is escaping me now). One of the units that moves the engine back away from the transom so the prop runs in cleaner water. This gets you lots of benefits on an outboard boat. The prop is running in smoother water giving you more speed and lower fuel consumption. Steering is better with the prop farther behind the CG. You can close the transom so that flooding risk is less. You now have more room on each side of the extension to make a better platform/ladder.

Remember there is no *right* answer. It is *your* boat, outfit it anyway you like!

Originally posted by Hawk
I know that I can't be the only person that uses a smaller outboard boat for diving. I have a 15 1/2 foot Bayliner bowrider with a 50 hp outboard. The problem is that it has one of those goofy plastic swim platforms with only one railing due to the engine. This is a weak way to board to say the least.

What I am looking for is to see if anyone out here has a better setup. Does anybody know of a place that makes full platforms for an outboard? Has anybody made their own? As far as I can see, all that would have to be done is to have enough space for the motor to clear in order to turn. If you had a hinged middle piece so that you could still tilt the motor, why couldn't it be as large as you wanted? (I realize enough support comes into play if you made it too large) I want to be able to have a strong full sized ladder that you can climb up and be able to remove gear out of the water.

Someone must know the solution. Maybe there is someone that just loves to design things? Now I'm getting picky, but aluminum is my first choice of materials.

Later, Hawk.

I have a 19.5 foot bayliner bowrider and never found an adequate solution.. The solution below worked ok in calw water but in rough water it was very difficult to get onboard. I found its best to just have a line hanging off the side of the boat where I can take my gear off and clip it to the line.
Once I'm onboard just drag the stuff onboard.. The only solution I found that worked Ok was a removeable side entry ladder the hung on the side of the boat and leans up agains the hull on the outside.. Bayliners have some pretty thin hulls so I would reinforce the hull where you plan on using the ladder.. Its not that difficult.. just make sure you use marine plywood, sand the surface of the hull and use an EPOXY based fiberglass to cover and bond it to the hull..

Pipedope and Padiscubapro, thanks for the ideas. I guess I will have to do some thinking and decide which is best. Oh well, one way or another I will get in and out of the water.

Later, Hawk.

my buddy made an aluminum ladder that I use on my boat or his.
It is made of aluminum shaft down the middle and aluminum foot pegs extend outward so you can climb it with your fins on. it is very light and just hooks on to the dock tie on your boat. (make sure the dock tie on your boat is secure). If you want better system shell out the big $$$$$$$$$$$ for a nice size boat:(

Hey Hawk,

I would caution against the method of using a setback extension such as pipedope suggested, because in order to make this system work properly on a boat the size of yours you would also need to install a jack-plate so that you could move the engine up and down to find it's proper running depth for different situations. I would reccommend going to the site listed below for some ideas.
http://www.marinewaypoints.com/gear/footing.shtml

Now I have a lot of different ideas. Rooster, I would shell out the big $$$$$$ if I had them. Actually this is just about the perfect size boat for my needs, anything bigger would not work in a lot of places I go.

TRUETEXAN, thanks for the advise and the site. Looks like a quite a bit of good boating stuff to spend money on there.

Later, Hawk.

TRUETEXAN is right about the jackplate being a good thing on the setback. It would also benefit ALL outboard powered boats as the optimum running height of the motor changes depending on speed, load, sea state and operator guts.
Do you run power trim on your engine?

I still like using an inflatable alongside for entering/leaving the water. A ten footer is big enough for two divers to come over the side and flop into the bottom at the same time. They can then remove gear safely and climb aboard the main boat. The inflatable must be of quality hull material to withstand the abuse of divers gear. It doesn't *need* an outboard but will make usefull speed with a very small one.
With a proper towing bridle they tow easily with the biggest problem being that you need to remeber it is back there before you back down so you don't wrap the towline in your prop. :D

There are almost an infinite number of additional uses for a small inflatable. It is perfect for hanging a weighted line for deco or safety stops. You can explore places with the 'flatable that you would never take a hard boat.

I don't know where you are but you might ask around locally for a boat builder/diver who would be interested in the project. If I lived in your area I would be interested in doing the labor to aquire another buddy/boat to dive with. The other sided benefit for a builder is there is a good chance for them to pick up additional jobs when people see your's and want something like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom